The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
An employee in this class is responsible for supervising a crew as specified by the job to be performed. This position is responsible for supervising Utilities Technicians (1-2 crew members), performing lead and skilled to semi-skilled tasks of above average difficulty in inspection, operation, and documentation of water distribution system valves. Will lead in in identifying system valves for water main isolation purposes, water main redirection, and distribution system analysis. Utilize all available mapping resources, including GIS, related water system mapping software, and available infrastructure hardcopies for locating valves in water distribution system. Employee will be required to operate and understand computer operations as well as entering water valve data required for valve record keeping software. Responsible for using and operating all manual and mechanized valve operating equipment. Employees operate power tools, drive heavy trucks, and operate small, medium, and some heavy equipment. Under occasional supervision, the employee exercises moderate and considerable initiative and independent judgment in performing assigned tasks. Some jobs might require the employee to perform tasks of a hazardous nature. Responsible for daily job reports as well as employees under supervision in following safety and work rules in accordance with city, department and divisional policies. Work is reviewed while in progress and upon completion through observations, reports submitted, and results obtained. Coaches and motivates employees.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads and supervises Utility Technicians on jobsite and performs lead, skilled, and semi-skilled tasks related to water distribution isolation valve operations and inspections. Identifies hazards to determine if job can be performed safely and conducts required safety checks for work in confined spaces Identifies hazards to determine if job can be performed safely; conducts required safety checks for work in confined spaces.
• Responsible for computer operations and data entry requirements for valve record keeping software
• Enters and completes work orders in WAM.
• Functions in a leadership and supervisory role onsite; assigns and reviews work of other work team members; trains other personnel; and serves as a competent person on jobsite.
• Evaluates material requirements for daily tasks.
• Makes decisions concerning City Right of Ways and traffic control.
• Utilizes the following: mechanized hydraulic valve operating equipment and motorized travel vacuum machines.
• Responds to customer inquiries and issues.
• Coaches and motivates crew members by communicating needs and expectations through proper training.
• Maintains records; and generates reports.
• Plans/schedules short-term work; assigns and reviews work of others;
• Supervises and coordinates work activities of assigned staff; assigns work, monitors status of work, and inspects completed work; participates and provides input in staffing decisions relative to hiring, firing, discipline, and promotional opportunities; evaluates performance; mentors staff; aids with career development, and responsible for completing performing evaluations for assigned staff.
• Conducts and documents job safety requirements.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of computer operations and ability to learn associated computer software
• Knowledge of proper safety practices and emergency response procedures.
• Knowledge of customer service methods.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in resolving conflict.
• Skill in using base hand and power tools.
• Skill in operating light to heavy equipment and trucks.
• Ability to work as a team member.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to read and interpret topo maps and street maps.
• Ability to train other personnel.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and the general public.
• Ability to supervise employees.
The work is medium work and requires applying 30 pounds of force frequently and exerting up to 70 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, feeling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing, stooping, expressing ideas by spoken word, shouting above noises, and walking
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited school; technical or vocational school preferred.
• Five (5) years of related work experience, preferably experience as a Utilities Technician, and including one (1) year of supervisory experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license,
• Requires (or obtains within required timeframe of hire) a Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL – with tanker endorsement).
• Requires (or obtains within required timeframe of hire Grade I Wastewater Collection or Grade C Water Distribution certification.
• Requires completion of three (3) Skills Matrix Leadership and Development courses within one (1) year of promotion/hire.
$44,329.00 - 49,253.00/YR Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.