The role of the Aviation Technology Systems Manager is to develop and maintain highly available critical business applications and systems. This is accomplished by leading sessions with technology stakeholders to evaluate business processes and evaluating the appropriate software and availability design to meet requirements. This includes, but is not limited to, overseeing program budgets and resource requirements, creating strategic plans for applications and systems management, maintaining technology systems support, and managing system administration staff. The Technology Systems Manager is a technical support contact who will escalate and drive complex technology incidents and service requests to resolution, oversee access control, security camera systems, parking revenue control and signage systems, content management systems, centralized logging and monitoring applications, and cloud SAAS solutions such as project management solutions and workflows. Other duties include overseeing third party vendors and developing proposals or contracts for technology purchases. Oversight is accomplished by implementing technology solutions that utilize software tools to maintain security awareness, regulatory compliance, and uptime metrics for the business systems.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and maintain critical business applications in a private or public cloud offering and administer technology policies and develop procedures for these relevant systems
- Develop and administer technology system training programs for aviation staff
- Develop and maintain business partnerships by creating collaboration opportunities within the city and county
- Build and manage the system management, administration program and personnel by creating tickets or team weekly work plans and driving the plans to completion; this includes time approval, performance or skill reviews, and continuous learning and training plans where needed.
- Contribute to and analyze the technology roadmap to ensure business and budgetary needs are being met efficiently and systems policies are compliant with government and industry standards.
- Maintain business process and requirements by scheduling meetings with business partners, then resolving issues through collaboration; helping with customer service and communication; negotiating and managing contracts; documenting all work and deliverables; and monitoring vendor thresholds.
- Lead and coordinate special technology projects, managing all needs for assigned projects, including developing project charters, project implementation plans, control plans and staff.
- Create and execute efficient workflows for projects, status reports, work orders, and service requests using software tools, developing efficiency and availability metrics to ensure objective, positive results to meet business needs.
- Participate in collaboration by taking notes in stakeholder and subgroup meetings, maintaining a membership in various work teams, and leading software engineering coordination meetings.
- Coordinate with other departments, offices, and contractors as necessary to achieve a successful outcome.
- Maintain a current and working knowledge of technologies and systems, troubleshooting issues in conjunction with vendors and maintenance staff.
- Evaluate current technology environments and recommends improvements to the processes, and system.
- Other duties, projects, or tasks as assigned by the Technology Director
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Linux operating systems, AD roles in multi-site, highly available environments, including maintenance via SCCM / MECM.
- Knowledge of virtualized environments, server clusters, network virtualization, and geo-redundant application and system solutions.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking in, including subnet architectures and access lists.
- Advanced knowledge of cybersecurity best practice, including protecting PCI, PII, and SSI data protection with a layered security approach, notifications, and centralized logging.
- Ability to consider the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external customers and represent the airport in a professional, positive manner.
- Ability to create complex, cost efficient test environments for software integrations to help evaluate and validate changes or upgrades to hardware and software.
- Ability to use organizational, documentation, and reasoning skills while communicating effectively, both verbally and in writing, to complete projects accurately and on schedule.
- Ability to work and coordinate with other aviation groups in a professional manner.
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Project management and contract management skills.
- Experience with technology, consulting, and people/process management in technology environment.
- Excellent customer service skills
Master’s degree with five (5) or more years in business, information technology or related field with technology systems management experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
- Seven (7) or more years of experience in business analysis, requirements definition and information technology support, including prior supervisory experience
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job functions
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021, the City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.