The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Comprehensive subject matter expertise in the business process area of Payroll within the Human Resources Application Support Team. Responsible for collaboration with key stake holders, including Compensation, Benefits, and Payroll business owners and technology owners.
Additionally, this role will have responsibilities of providing advanced application support, developing, and maintaining standards, documentation, and procedures. This role is expected to be the trusted technology advisor in the functional area of enterprise payroll business process and operations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface with key stakeholders and end users to define needs, communicate technology changes, and fulfill requests.
- Respond to and prioritize customer requests related to software applications ranging from permissions, tier 2 application problems, and various other administrative items. Serve as Technology Solution Lead, and Trusted Technology Advisor to the Payroll Business process owners.
- Provide functional and application configuration support, including assisting with reports, queries, testing (script writing, coordination, execution), software solution evaluation and suggest new feature implementation to business partners, and other service requests as needed.
- Partner with business process owners on existing processes and developing stories for desired functionality that are leveraged for future functionality, detail the story in a manner that allow for functionality is adopted, monitored, and reviewed for efficiency and customer satisfaction.
- Develop and run reports, create and manage account permissions, troubleshoot problems, and facilitate solutions, cooperate with vendors, and communicate with system users.
- Determine and document software project requirements.
- Design and facilitate end user training sessions. Create flexible curriculum, maintain training materials, present training in a meaningful manner, and perform check ins for retraining.
- Perform other duties and related work as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Principles and practices of basic bookkeeping
- Modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment
- SQL programming languages
- Client-server technology and applications, basic database structure, technical systems analysis, and design
- Information Technology best practices, standards, and terminology
- Software testing and quality assurance practices
- Developing and maintaining effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Analysis and troubleshooting
- Customer service
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Manage relational database
- Evaluate software to determine efficiency, reliability, and compatibility with existing systems
- Plan, develop, and write operational procedures and manuals
- Research, develop, and document technical design specifications
- Advanced understanding of end-to-end payroll business process; tier-two large ERP/Payroll solutions (such as Oracle, Workday, or SAP);
- Experience as a senior level functional Business Systems Analyst with a focus area of Payroll;
- Experience defining business requirements, defining scope, solution design, application configuration, testing (script writing, coordination, execution), job aide creation
- Experience with 3rd party SaaS vendor coordination and developing project work plans.
- At least two years of relevant college-level course work or an associate degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
- Five (5) or more years of experience in business analysis, requirements definition, payroll application configuration and functional support
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job functions
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021, the City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.