Human Resources Specialist Sr
The Human Resources department is seeking a detail-oriented, multi-tasking individual to serve as a Payroll Specialist Lead. The Human Resources Payroll Lead deals with data entry, tracking and reporting, auditing, handling escalated issues, addressing concerns and customer service for the Payroll Division of the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department. This role will play an integral part in ensuring employees are paid accurately and timely. The position receives direction from the Payroll Manager.
· Greets visitors and answers telephone and e-mails in a prompt and courteous manner
· Maintains confidentiality of personnel information and works well in a team environment
· Assist with ERP implementation project as it relates to payroll system testing and process mapping
· Completing payroll processing responsibilities
· Reconciling payroll
· Ability to analyze administrative problems & make sound recommendations for resolution / prepare working procedures
· Creating reports and interface file
· Inputting special pay transactions and garnishment information with accuracy
· Providing training and support to departmental end-users to ensure proper payroll procedures are followed
· Preparing & maintaining variety of reports
· Other special projects and duties as assigned
· Responsible for processing monthly retirement file (Orbit)/monthly Benefits Billing/internal 401k
audit/quarterly tax preparation
· Exceptional customer service delivery
· Basic principles and practices of payroll processing and reconciliation
· Complex math calculation skills
· Ability to carry out assignments using own initiative & general instructions
· Ability to come up with proactive solutions & exercise critical thinking
· Proficiency in Peoplesoft and Microsoft Office
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.