The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position manages and executes all phases of large water and wastewater planning projects for the City from inception to completion (programming, planning, design, proposals, and contract awards, and implementation). This position serves as a mentor to other section personnel and functions as a technical expert related to specialty, both internally and externally.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs analyses using the Charlotte Water Distribution Hydraulic Model to evaluate projects and changes in the distribution system operation.
• Completes or prepares technical memos, regulatory reports and water system surveys as assigned.
• Completes routine system evaluations for the water distribution system including fire flow, c-factor, valve operation, shut-down testing and water system pressure monitoring. These evaluations may include preliminary research, field visits, mapping, and design of approach.
• Facilitates coordination between Charlotte Water Staff in other Divisions in activities relevant to assigned tasks. May also facilitate community partner coordination for projects and studies.
• Participates in assigned Charlotte Water Committees and Task Groups.
• Manages and reports on Water Distribution system studies through task orders and on-call contracts.
• Responsible for Project Management activities such as procurement and selection of consultants and completion of project administrative duties associated with tasks assigned to an external consultant.
• Completes technical review of consultant prepared planning reports, technical memorandums, cost estimates, schedules and contract specifications for technical competency, compliance with Charlotte Water and regulatory standards, consistency, and delivery issues.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of engineering methods and techniques as related to the planning, construction, rehabilitation, and maintenance of infrastructure.
• Knowledge of project management tasks and ability to independently manage projects and project teams.
• Skill in working with Esri Software Products, Microsoft Products and Trimble Products (e.g., e-Builder software) and presenting data and reports.
• Skills and experience with water distribution system hydraulic modeling software, including building, calibration, and maintenance.
• Skill in designing and implementing field tests for assessments of a water distribution system like C-Factor, isolation testing, or flow testing for model calibration.
• Skill in summarizing and analyzing large data sets using software such as Excel, Power BI, or Tableau.
• Ability to quickly learn new software for project management.
• Ability to make technical engineering decisions and provide oversight in projects related to engineering planning.
• Ability to develop technical reports and effectively communicate findings to leadership and stakeholders.
• Ability to work cooperatively with other city employees and the public.
• Prefers licensure as a Professional Engineer (or equivalent credentials in field of specialty).
• Preferred Knowledge of software applications often needed to support engineering planning and system evaluation including GIS tools, planning applications and pressurized distribution hydraulic modelling software.
• Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management, or a related field from an accredited school.
• Three (3) years of related work experience with emphasis on water distribution/sewer collection systems design and construction and/or an emphasis on commercial/industrial building design and construction.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
• Requires certification as an Engineering Intern (or ability to obtain certification within one year of hire).
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.