The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position reports to City Procurement and is responsible for performing legal, transparent, equitable, and compliant procurement that ensures operational success while mitigating risk to the City.
The position provides procurement support to General Services and other City Departments as needed that plan, design, and construct capital projects and all other horizontal and vertical construction and maintenance and repair. Support includes but is not limited to procurement consulting, solicitation, contract development and negotiating, and contract execution services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares competitive solicitation documents and packages for construction and operations and maintenance services using approved templates, AIA documents, NCDOT specifications, or developing new documents which adhere to local, state and/or federal requirements.
- Performs research on legal issues and performs all necessary due diligence as needed to develop a solid understanding of project background information, scopes of services, and/or specifications and requirements.
- Facilitates / coordinates required meetings and spearheads stakeholder reviews of all applicable documents prior to project advertisement and/or completion.
- Conducts analysis of bid documents and effective evaluation protocols to determine appropriate basis of award based upon applicable North Carolina General Statutes, City policies, and any other local, state and federal requirements.
- Works with Legal to determine the best approach to legal issues.
- Reviews vendor proposed terms and conditions to ensure compliance to City terms and conditions during contract development, renewal, amendment and/or change order.
- Prepares City Council agenda items for formal projects and recommendations of award for informal projects.
- Provides procurement process and consulting services across multiple City departments.
- Maintains effective project tracking information in all applicable databases and/or systems and develops project schedules within established life cycles.
- Acts as a liaison between City Procurement and the Project Management team to ensure effective collaboration and on-time completion of projects.
- Provides and facilitates effective communications between City Procurement and the Project Management team through meetings, project updates, and regular reporting.
- Supports compliance initiatives and reporting requirements designed to improve procurement outcomes.
- Works collaboratively with the Charlotte Business INClusion program to ensure equitable inclusion of diverse vendors and supports compliance initiatives, strategic forecasting, and effective communication of opportunities.
- Performs all necessary duties including but not limited to cycle time reporting, records management, and compliance with policies, procedures, and systems requirements.
- Performs special projects and additional duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and Edge.
- Good working knowledge of an ERP system.
- Requires excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
- Ability to prioritize and schedule work and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Represents the City in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to analyze administrative problems and to make sound recommendations for their resolution, and to prepare working procedures.
- Prior contracts work experience is preferred.
- Prefer knowledge and application of local, state and federal bid statutes and regulations.
- Prior training experience.
- Associate’s Degree and three years of related experience or a Bachelor’s Degree and one year of experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
$57,100 - $71,375 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.