The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Under the direction of the Meter Services Supervisor, the Industrial Meter Repair Technician performs shipping/receiving, inventory control, assignment of equipment and supplies to field personnel, inventory warehouse/meter equipment test area organization, and routine maintenance and minor repairs on equipment and tools.
Responsible for following procedures and processes for quality assurance, documentation/record keeping and reporting, and supporting improvement programs aimed at performance enhancement and business risk mitigation to Charlotte Water.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Receives and completes all assigned service work orders within a specified time period, while accurately recording the water meter readings and entering pertinent notes associated with the work performed and any notable conditions at each service address into a portable laptop.
• Maintains up to date inventory count for metering equipment components, meter replacement parts, and all field supplies and tools at the warehouse and field zone facilities using computer forms and tables for inventory management. Forecasts detailed equipment/parts/supply orders that will maintain inventory within min/max levels required to support operational needs.
• Distributes equipment and supplies directly to service technicians and delivers inventory to field zone facilities as needed.
• Receives shipments of new metering equipment and field supplies in accordance Customer Service Division processes including shipment evaluation, acceptance, and quarantine release procedures and detailed documentation.
• Responsible for outbound shipments of equipment warranty returns to the manufacturer and instrumentation to service centers. Tracks shipped inventory status and returns.
• Maintains organized meter shop and associated warehouse area for safe, clean, efficient operation; reports issues requiring repair, replacement, or other action.
• Applies technical and working knowledge of various types of water meters and respective operational characteristics with respect to replacement meter parts inventory and appropriate selection for distribution to service technicians.
• Supports cross-training of Inventory Management duties to designated employees as needed.
• Supports metering equipment evaluation and performance testing program by received cross-training and periodically performing equipment evaluation and testing duties.
• Works within the ISO/2015 Quality Management System environment.
• Identifies opportunities for improvement to processes/procedures and offers potential solutions for discussion with the Meter Services Supervisor.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of customer service principles.
• Knowledge of water metering equipment.
• Knowledge of business computing software and the operations of a computer,
• Proficient skills, or ability to become proficient, with MS Office Suite, particularly Excel/Word/Outlook.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in using basic tools.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships and interact courteously and professionally with the public
• Ability to understand and follow directives and instructions.
• Ability to work independently as well as with others, work efficiently, and have excellent time management.
The work is medium work and requires lifting objects weighing up to 60 pounds and exerting up to 75 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: climbing, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, walking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity in equipment, getting in and out of a vehicle frequently during a scheduled work shift, and sometimes viewing a computer screen for several hours at a time.
Work is performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others. Indoor work is often performed in a warehouse with dusty and limited climate control conditions. Distribution tasks include exposure to outdoor elements such as heat, cold, seasonal pollen, dirt, dust, mud, water, insects, pests, reptiles, and animals. Requires ability to report to work in case of an emergency or despite adverse weather conditions.
• Experience with shipping/receiving/distribution of equipment and supplies, inventory management, and quality assurance.
• Experience & skills in the use of diagnostics / repair of meters / use of power & hand tools /maintenance & minor repairs of equipment and tools.
• Working familiarity with BANNER customer information and billing software.
• Familiarity with FDM and Service Suite service order applications
• Experience with large meter testing and customer service field operations.
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited school.
• One (1) year of related work experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
• AWWA Meter Technician Certification or ability to obtain within 6-months of placement.
• Forklift Operator Certification or ability to obtain within 3-months of placement.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.