The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position directs the daily customer service provided by field technicians in responding to water leaks in the distribution system.
Work involves assigning technicians to investigate leaks (street, yard, curb, meter); scheduling and dispatching work orders; supervising staff; and ensuring that work orders (repairing of leaks, replacing meter washers/meter wheels) are completed. This position routinely performs quality assurance reviews, investigates high bills, and addresses customer complaints.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises and coordinates work activities of assigned staff; assigns work, monitors status of work, and inspects completed work; participates and provides input in staffing decisions relative to hiring, firing, discipline, and promotional opportunities; evaluates performance; mentors staff; and aids with career development.
• Checks emails and calendars; plans work for team for next day.
• Educates customer on the operational function of a water meter how to determine the location of a leak.
• Informs customers on the department practices related to leaks and the responsibilities and limitations for service repairs on private property issues.
• Investigates customer complaints regarding leaks and assigns repairs as necessary; escalates matter if additional work is required.
• Receives requests for repairs; creates and assigns work orders; checks quality of completed work orders including meter box maintenance; and receives accurate recordings of the water meter readings.
• Enters pertinent notes associated with the work performed and any notable conditions at each service address into a portable laptop.
• Notifies Customer Service Division of inoperable or malfunctioning meters and/or metering equipment as required.
• Evaluates field conditions to determine if there is an irregularity or condition at the service address that would cause high consumption or unknown usage to occur and report findings.
• Performs preventative maintenance and daily inspections of vehicle and field computer equipment for proper function and reports malfunctions or deficiencies.
• Ensures team members communicates to external customers by telephone and door tag on identified issue and repairs performed.
• Runs reports.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of using mobile data applications, customer billings, and work and asset management systems (Service Suite 8, Customer Suite, and Cityworks).
• Knowledge of identifying and repairing leaks.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work independently, efficiently, and have excellent time management skills.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to follow directives and instructions.
• Ability to effectively communicate by cell phone and radio with customer and department staff.
• Ability to supervise others.
The work is heavy work and requires applying up to 20 pounds of force constantly; applying 30 pounds of force frequently; and exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crouching, feeling, manual dexterity, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, reaching, repetitive motion, standing, expressing ideas by spoken word, shouting above noises, visual acuity in color/observations/equipment/inspections, and walking.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs. Requires flexibility in working assigned work schedules and willingness to work overtime.
• Associate degree from an accredited school.
• Five (5) years of related work experience preferably with experience in customer service and water utility operations
• One (1) year of supervisory experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.