The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte's Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partnership agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery.
Responsible for protecting information and industrial control systems by managing compliance, coordinating response to cyber security incidents, and researching and maintaining awareness of the latest cyber threats and vulnerabilities. This position will work with all city technology teams to ensure that necessary technical security requirements are met. As a member of the Innovation and Technology Cyber Security team, this individual will focus on operational-related security initiatives to support technology infrastructure, and/or enterprise applications and services while also facilitating the use of technology to ward off attempts by attackers who are targeting the disruption of critical control systems, and sensitive consumer and corporate information. This individual will work with the Cyber Security team to automate cyber security processes and plan, develop, and coordinate cyber security and industrial control projects as needed. This position will provide security support for Charlotte Water systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Coordinate and execute security tasks related to technology projects or initiatives with a focus on industrial control system networks.
• Configure and install security infrastructure. This is to include scheduling and attendance of afterhours maintenance windows.
• Builds and maintains a detailed technical understanding of the Charlotte Water control system architecture and corresponding business processes.
• Produce cyber network architectures and documentation.
• Conduct maintenance and monitoring of cyber infrastructure security systems.
• Provide advanced support in response to cyber security incidents.
• Develop remediation plans for any gaps reported in audits or recommended process improvements.
• Collaborate with Charlotte Water and City staff to manage security vulnerabilities or investigations.
• Conduct security research in keeping abreast of latest security issues.
• Coordinate with managed security services to implement security initiatives.
• Coordinate and execute security tasks related to Innovation and Technology security requests.
• Provide advanced support in evaluation and implementation of cyber security requirements for operational and engineering technology systems.
• Develop scripts and software to automate cyber security processes.
• On occasion, direct the work of helpers, assistants, interns or temporary employees.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated technical leadership experience.
• Experience in administrating CASB reverse proxies, forward proxies, and API integrations.
• Experience in programming, developing, or scripting for interaction with API services.
• Experience performing root cause analysis, risk evaluation, risk mitigation, and risk avoidance.
• Knowledgeable of and experience securing all operating systems to include UNIX, Linux, and OpenBSD. This knowledge should include experience with IPFW, PF, Firewall CMD, and other packet filtering technologies.
• Ability to work efficiently, expeditiously, and independently with limited supervision.
• Excellent communication and Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
• Ability to self-manage tasks for meeting schedules and deadlines of the work
• Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification
• Direct cyber security working experience in an industrial control system (ICS) environment.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cyber Security, or a related field
• Seven (7) or more years of experience in Information Technology, operational technology, or Cyber Security
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities necessary to perform the essential job functions.
$100,531 - $125,663 Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.