Responsible for designing, maintaining, and administering a variety of on-premises and cloud-based technology systems such as Genetec, Genetec Clearance, Axon, BWC, Evidence.com, DEMS, among other systems. The position requires executing change requests and resolving high-priority and escalated issues. The Administrator Senior possesses depth of knowledge regarding Infrastructure-as-a-Service and Platform-as-a-Service and has extensive hands-on experience with operational ownership of these environments. Additional responsibilities may include installations, upgrades, or compliance (depending on the applications being administered). The role will work with end users on advanced troubleshooting activities to ensure applications are working properly.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as system administrator for the servers and software supporting evidence storage, Body Worn Cameras, Axon and Genetec systems. Maintains production, training, and emergency operations.
- Interface with end users to resolve issues, as well as design new business processes to improve the system and device availability
- Deploy and maintain Virtual Machines, cloud Applications and Networking Services.
- Responsible for server patching during maintenance windows. Creates technical support documentation, procedural documentation for the installation and support of applications.
- Recommend, develop, plan, manage, implement, and fully document IT projects.
- Develop IT policy recommendations and standard operating procedures to be used by support and other engineering teams.
- May participate in project planning and implementation to provide technical inputs to gather business requirements to propose recommended designs.
- Ensure city systems remain up to date and patched for support, security, and efficient use. Recommend system enhancements to benefit the city and users.
- May act as a liaison between departments, vendors, and customers and serve as a lead for technical support.
- Work with vendors and internal developers to implement applications on server infrastructure.
- Create and maintain system, server, and infrastructure documentation. Review change control procedures for upcoming changes and coordinate/communicate accordingly.
- Provide input on policies and standards related to the use of computing resources, overall strategy, design, implementation, and operational aspects of multiple security systems, operating environments, and related software.
- Attend functional and technical training and participate in development activities and upgrade projects.
- May provide guidance to Application Administrator Associates or other technology service resources on resolutions to recurring and new issues though communications and documentation.
- 24/7 call back and after-hours work when needed to support applications and systems.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in managing SaaS products.
- Network and firewall troubleshooting skills.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Advanced Analysis and troubleshooting of servers, hosted solutions, and hardware
- Organization and time management
- Provide technology design options and tools to solve the business problems.
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Prepare clear and concise reports
- Provide guidance and input on technical aspects related to vendor packages / applications
- Implement and sustain technology systems using industry and vendor best practices
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.