The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Charlotte Douglas International Airport seeks a Senior Business Intelligence Analyst to drive excellence through data analysis and reporting for meaningful and actionable information. The goal of the Aviation Department’s Innovation & Experience Division includes advancing safe and secure operations, enhancing the passenger experience, and maximizing revenue. The purpose of this position within Innovation & Experience’s Business Intelligence Team is to leverage data to support strategic decision making and innovation. This is accomplished by building upon existing data sources and seeking out new data opportunities to run analysis and reporting for divisions across the Aviation Department as well as alongside external partners. This analysis and reporting includes dashboarding, standardized reporting, and ad hoc requests. The ability to think strategically and execute with attention to detail is integral.
• Primarily works office hours Monday through Friday; however, subject to working at other times for certain projects, special events and meetings, overtime and emergency calls back to work as needed to keep systems operational. Working a hybrid schedule with in-office and remote hours will be considered, with at last two days a week in the office.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to qualify for City driving permit.
• Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Translate and document business requests for data reporting, analysis, and visualization projects for internal and external Aviation stakeholders.
2. Conduct ongoing analysis and reporting to airport operations.
3. Participate in cross-functional project teams to support Aviation Department’s strategic goals and objectives.
4. Leverage various Business Intelligence enterprise systems and software, such as Excel and Tableau.
5. Provide subject matter expert support by conducting and attending meetings with internal and external Airport partners; collaborating with other personnel to determine appropriate solutions; coordinating some support with vendors; consulting on business processes and system use; communicating with customers; and implementing strategies to remediate situations.
6. Integrate and prepare large, varied datasets from internal and external sources for analysis and visualization.
7. Turn data into actionable insights that support decision-making; work with and across divisions to determine priorities, define metrics, and share data through dashboard and reports.
8. Perform as-needed Business Intelligence technology solution project management, including training of Aviation staff and users.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of and experience with data analysis and reporting.
• Ability to manage projects, complete projects accurately and on schedule, and coordinate work with other groups
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization
• Excellent organizational skills in order to prioritize multiple tasks, develop, analyze procedures, meet deadlines, and work in a dynamic environment
• Demonstrated oral and written communication skills and the ability to compose correspondence and reports
• Experience with business intelligence platforms, such as Tableau
• Ability to use independent judgment and initiative to accomplish tasks
• Ability to analyze business requirements
• Ability to communicate technical expertise and train all levels of end users
• Ability to follow verbal and written directions
Bachelor’s degree in data analytics, information sciences, statistics, business, mathematics, information technology, public administration, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties. At least two years of prior experience with data analysis is preferred. Airport experience is a plus.
Bachelor's Degree and three years related work experience
Master's Degree and one year related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.