The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is based in the Construction, Survey and Utilities Section and is responsible for representing the City’s interest by inspecting City projects including, but not limited to roadway construction projects, sidewalk and landscaping projects and transit-oriented projects for compliance with City and State standards, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) regulations and/or coordinating the relocation/removal of utility facilities, signs and trees for the various roadway and sidewalk construction projects.
This is technical and detail-oriented work requiring application of civil engineering principles and construction practices responsible for performing field inspection of roadway construction projects to assure compliance with applicable plans and specifications.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct field inspections on construction projects to ensure that construction procedures, design and materials specifications, erosion control standards, storm water detention and safety requirements are met
- Inspect construction projects per plans and specifications for required improvements such as sidewalks, streets, storm drainage, storm water detention, medians, curb and gutter, concrete, water main installations, sewer, asphalt paving, earthwork, manholes, conduit installation, bus stop installation, rail installation, overhead catenary installation, grading and erosion control
- Respond to inquiries and complaints from public and private agencies and the general public
- Reject defective work or substandard materials, and advises contractor of necessary corrective action
- Prepare daily project reports
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of the materials, methods and practices used in various types of construction
- Good communications skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Software (Excel, Word, Access, Outlook)
- Good driving record, a valid driver’s license and a dependable passenger vehicle
- Must be able to receive and maintain a City Driving Permit
- Possess or the ability to obtain NCDOT QMS Certification for Roadway Technicians and Erosion Control I
- Possess or the ability to obtain ACI NCDOT Field Level 1 Concrete Technician certification within 18 months of employment
- College coursework in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, construction management or related field
- Proficiency in reading and interpreting construction plans and specifications and previous public works or utility company experience
- Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish
- High School Diploma or GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience in field engineering and construction/roadway maintenance projects or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
$50,775 - $63,469 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.