The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Utility Coordinator is based in the Construction, Survey and Utility Division of General Services. This position represents the City's interests by coordinating the resolution of conflicts between existing utility facilities and the City's proposed Capital Investment Program projects.
This position will work closely with private utility company representatives, the City’s project management and design teams, and the City’s construction staff. This is technical and detail-oriented work requiring an understanding of the utility company construction practices used to relocate utility facilities, as well as the horizontal infrastructure construction practices that are employed in proposed City infrastructure projects.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Represents the City's interest on all utility coordination and relocation project issues to ensure efficient utility relocations and adherence to City policies
- Confers with City staff, external consultants, utility companies, citizens and all other interested parties to establish priorities and manage utility relocations
- Analyze utility relocation issues and impacts on construction projects
- Gather, review and maintain utility plans and specifications
- Review engineer's and consultant's project plans for utility conflicts and relocations, as well as sign-off on all utility project plans
- Perform periodic status checks verbal and on-site of utility work order to provide progress reports to City staff as needed
- Review costs for utility relocations
- Facilitate resolution of project issues and problems between utility companies and the City
- Maintain project-specific documentation and schedules
- Establish and safeguard professional relations with utility representations and City staff
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in field engineering, construction and maintenance projects
- Proficiency in reading and interpreting construction plans and specifications
- Understanding of infrastructure construction practices, means and methods
- Previous public works and/or utility company experience
- Knowledge of materials, methods and practices used in various types of roadway, storm water and utility construction
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with public
- Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work
- Ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision and maximum personal accountability
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software: Excel, Word, Access and Outlook
- Valid driver's license, good driving record and dependable passenger vehicle to use for work
- Ability to obtain and maintain City driving permit
- Associate’s Degree in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, construction management or related field
- At least five years of experience in project field engineering, construction and maintenance with public works and/or private utility companies
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
High School diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
$50,775 - $63,469 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.