The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position provides procurement and contracting expertise, consultation, and oversight in support of procurement needs and requirements for Charlotte Water.
Work involves conducting procurement and contracting activities while ensuring application and compliance with state and local guidelines, policies, and statutes to ensure the timely completion of assigned procurements. This position requires in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with all phases of governmental purchasing, contracting, accounting, and reporting. Work also involves partnering with the department’s Business Diversity Team to establish Minority, Women, and Small Business Enterprise (MWSBE) goals for projects, assisting customers with Requests for Council Action, and communicating regularly with customers, vendors, project managers, and other city departments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Develops Invitations to Bid for Formal and Informal Construction and conducting bid phase services including, but not limited to, conducting pre-bid meetings and bid openings, issuing addenda, developing bid tabulations, corresponding with vendors, performing bid evaluations, updating CLTWater’s Vendor Opportunities website, contract preparation, and providing support to other Procurement Team members in these areas. Will also ensure these efforts are coordinated with Charlotte Water’s Business Diversity Team.
• Develops Requests for Qualifications, conducts procurement processes from advertisement through selection, and drafts contracts for AES services and collaborative delivery methods such as Design-Build and Construction-Management-at-Risk.
• Develops Invitations to Bid for commodities, Requests for Proposals, Requests for Quotes, and other solicitations when necessary, and providing contract and amendment consulting, negotiating, preparation services and execution assistance.
• Drafts contracts, amendments, change orders and renewals.
• Provides contract and amendment consulting, negotiating, preparation services, and execution assistance.
• Performs contract administration, monitoring and reporting as may be required.
• Performs procurement functions within enterprise-wide resource management systems, specifically requisitions, purchase orders, contracts, change orders, vendor information, and reporting as well as additional City systems such as e-Builder, EarlyBird, and B2Gnow.
• Assists with Charlotte Water’s Request for Council Action (RCA) agenda process; serves as subject matter expert at RCA review meetings for procurements conducted.
• Interacts regularly with fellow City departments such as General Services / Procurement Management, Risk Management, Charlotte Business INClusion, and the City Attorney’s Office, as well as vendors.
• Assists with procurement initiatives, special projects, and other tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of all phases of governmental purchasing, contracting, accounting, and reporting
• Skill in organization
• Skill in written and verbal communication
• Ability to multi-task in a diverse environment
• Ability to manage time to ensure assignments are completed on time or early
• Ability to work independently without constant supervisor review and involvement
• Ability to facilitate meetings
• Ability to read and comprehend contracts, solicitations, and scopes of work
• CLGPO, C.P.M., CPPO, CPPB certifications preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school.
• Three (3) years of related work experience.
• OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant work/industry/military/job specific experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.