The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This is high-level technical and administrative work overseeing maintenance and repair of mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems and related trades. Work requires extensive experience reviewing aviation construction drawings and overseeing aviation construction projects. Work is performed under strict guidelines, time limitations and limited supervision. Follow guidelines for public safety, security and customer service. Work involves considerable contact with the public, contractors and airport employees.
• Works hours based on assigned projects. Schedule subject to overtime, irregular hours, including evenings and weekends based on assignment; also, schedule subject to change and emergency calls back to work.
• Valid driver’s license and ability to qualify for City driving permit.
• Certain criminal convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervises and participates in the proper installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems and other related building maintenance functions.
2. Inspects assigned Airport construction projects. Coordinates work with contracted construction inspectors and tenants. Works as Project Manager on assigned projects.
3. Attends pre-bid and pre-construction conferences and answers questions about field conditions and special issues.
4. Coordinates between contractors, engineers and Airport management. Meets with contractors regarding issues that arise in the field. Prepares suggested change orders that become necessary as a part of the contracts.
5. Assign and review work of maintenance mechanics and other personnel engaged in building maintenance duties; providing technical assistance on unusual or complex assignments.
6. Inspect equipment to determine needed repairs and necessary parts.
7. Review work performed and materials to ensure accuracy and quality of work.
8. Work with procurement to develop contracts and write scope of work. Authorize requests for parts, materials and supplies. Prepare cost and materials estimates on breakdowns and repairs.
9. Perform related work as required.
10. Ensures that employees are informed of, and comply with, safety rules, operating policies and personnel regulations.
11. Subject to emergency call back for equipment repairs and inclement weather.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of materials, methods and practices used in various types of airport construction
• Thorough knowledge of methods, tools and materials used in electrical installation, maintenance or repair.
• Considerable knowledge of construction specifications, plans, codes, regulations, and materials
• Knowledge of occupational hazards, environmental regulations, safety precautions and the ability to enforce adequate safety precautions against such hazards.
• Excellent organizational and reasoning skills required, as well as the ability to follow directions, communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and complete projects accurately and on schedule
• Ability to supervise, assign and review work of subordinates.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with tenants, co-workers, contractors and the general public, and represent the Airport in a professional manner.
Experience should be at least on a journeyman’s level working on large commercial building systems. NC trade license required in electrical, plumbing or HVAC.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and five years related work experience
Associate's Degree and three years related work experience
Bachelor's Degree and one year related work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.