The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Operates heavy equipment with the Field Maintenance Division maintaining paint and pavement on runways, taxiways, ramp and other paved areas at Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Primarily operates truck-mounted and walk behind paint striper, crack sealer and crack router. May operate the following as needed by assignment: flusher truck, street sweeper, backhoe, tractor, bat wing mower, walk behind concrete/asphalt saw, front-end loader and tandem dump truck. Inspects assigned equipment for readiness and safety. Completes related records and reports. Performs related manual labor.
• Works assigned shift- 3rd. Ability to work other shifts and overtime when required by assignment, inclement weather or urgent/emergency situations. Subject to emergency calls back to work. This is an essential position.
• Must have valid CDL-B with no more than 6 points. Must have tanker vehicle endorsement or the ability to obtain within one year from date of employment and must be able to obtain AMA (airfield Movement Area) endorsement within 6 months from date of employment. Ability to obtain and maintain City driving permit.
• Certain criminal convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Repairs and maintains painted and paved areas by operating truck-mounted and walk behind paint striper, crack sealer and crack router. Serves as lead operator when required.
• Operates the following as needed by assignment: flusher truck, street sweeper, backhoe, tractor, bat wing mower, front-end loader and tandem dump truck.
• Inspects assigned equipment for readiness and safety.
• Completes related records and reports.
• Performs related manual labor.
• Perform job duties while complying with TSA security requirements.
• Perform Job duties require operation vehicles or heavy equipment in/on and around active runway and taxiway environments while follow instructions provided by FAA traffic controllers and following airfield signage, lighting and paint marking instructions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Must be able to read and write sufficiently to complete records and reports.
• Knowledge of safety precautions and work hazards involved in the operation of equipment.
• Ability to comprehend diagrams and measurements related to work performed.
• Knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in the operation of equipment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Knowledge of concrete and asphalt work.
• Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner with co-workers, airport tenants and the public.
• Skills to be able to read and write sufficiently to complete records and reports.
Spends 80% performing related manual labor and operating equipment the remainder of the time. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs. Work involves sitting, standing, bending, walking, driving, climbing, lifting, shoveling, pushing/pulling, carrying, twisting, reaching, and kneeling/squatting. Must have sufficient physical strength and ability to operate manual and automatic vehicles. Works inside and outside. Exposed to machinery, moving objects, vehicles, dust, slippery and uneven surfaces, excessive noise, vibrating tools and inclement weather.
Must be familiar with or have the ability to become familiar with FAA part 139 standard requirements for the airfield environment, TSA airport security requirements, and FAA part 77 standard requirements.
Five years related work experience
High School Graduate or Equivalent and three years related work experience
Required: CDL-B and ability to obtain Tank Endorsement within 12 months of employment
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.