The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Street Maintenance Utility Dispatcher is responsible for monitoring utility service requests, maintaining accurate documentation regarding Street Maintenance requests, and communicating effectively with Operations employees and contractors. Communication includes following up with requests and dispatching crews to complete requests.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives service requests from other departments and contractors including Charlotte Water, CMPD, and Fire.
- Gathers information from service requests to generate permit numbers.
- Communicates orders to appropriate field crews through email, phone, or radio communication.
- Records the progress of repairs on service requests including dates, times, the crew working on the request, and status of the request.
- Ensures completed requests have the appropriate documentation including length of time for repair, process for repair, materials used, etc.
- Sends reports and other information such as pothole requests, beeper schedules, and permit numbers to appropriate staff.
- Communicates with Operations Supervisors and Field Operations Supervisors to follow-up with the status of service requests and ensure accurate documentation to complete requests.
- Assists with concrete orders as needed by contacting suppliers with amount of concrete needed and time and location requested.
- Assist with utility locates for Street Maintenance Crews through the 811 web based system
- Works with Construction Inspectors to monitor how many cuts are open and check certifications for employees.
- Monitor entry gates and greet visitors through the intercom and security cameras.
- Works overtime as needed to cover weekend shifts, night shifts, and mandatory inclement weather conditions.
- Performs related duties as needed and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Customer Service- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction
- Clerical- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing.
- Communication Skills – Conveying information effectively through speaking and writing and understanding information others give through speaking and writing.
- Organization – The ability to organize information in a way that can be effectively accessed and remain
The City of Charlotte is proud of its diverse workforce and employs over 6,000 individuals engaged in various exciting professional, administrative, public safety, technical, clerical, skilled and general labor and trades work. Fourteen departments are responsible for providing such services as Police and Fire protection, Garbage and Recyclables collection, Water and Sewer Services, Road Construction and Maintenance, Transit, Planning, Zoning, Neighborhood Development, and operation of Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Job Title:
Utility Dispatcher Date:
4/29/2022 Employment Status:
Full-Time Manages Others:
No Job Description
confidential if necessary.
- Technology/Computer Skills – Has the capacity to learn and is familiar with computer programs.
- Decision Making Skills – Efficiently and effectively makes choices. Considers the cost and benefits of potential actions through understanding of others’ possible reactions.
- Problem Sensitivity – The ability to tell when something is wrong or likely to go wrong. Recognizing there is a problem that needs a solution.
- Time Management – The ability to manage time effectively in order to meet deadlines for numerous tasks at once.
- Understanding Others/Teamwork – Understands why leaders/groups do what they do; picks up good sense of others in terms of position, intention, and needs; broadly shares both responsibility and accountability; working effectively and productively with others.
- Attention to Detail – Achieving thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all areas involved.
- Dispatch experience preferred.
- Familiarity with computer programs such as Microsoft Office preferred.
- High School Graduate or Equivalent and one (1) year related work experience
- $16.00 / Hour - $19.76 / Hour; Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.