Charlotte’s local government, with more than 7,000 employees and a $2.39 billion budget, works hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play.
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte's Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partnership agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte Innovation & Technology (I&T) Department is seeking a top-level specialist in Microsoft .NET C# and related technologies with extensive experience in application systems analysis, design, and programming. Using .Net and the latest development tools, this position will deliver a variety of applications and solutions that will make Charlotte a better place to live and work. A focus for this position will be application integrations, as well as back-end APIs, front-end web applications, and mobile apps. The position will support current applications and integrations and help propel the city forward in the latest development techniques.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, develop, and maintain code objects using Microsoft development and other software development tools as necessary for a project.
- Work with customers to determine the scope of effort for projects and detail the information in a Scope of Work document.
- Work with customers to gather business process and system requirements; document as required.
- Provide customer support and troubleshooting for applications as assigned. This includes applications developed in-house, as well as commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) applications.
- Assist in the quality assurance process for projects which includes tasks such as developing test plans, executing test plans, and completing ad-hoc testing.
- Follow configuration management and change management procedures as established by I&T.
- Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
- Perform any other assignments as directed by the technical team leader.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Microsoft C#.NET
- React JS
- Experience with source control tools such as Git and/or TFS
- Ability to write SQL queries with moderate complexity
- Bachelor’s degree with 3 or more years of relevant work experience
- Experience testing/debugging large-scale web applications
- Microsoft SQL Server and/or Oracle PL/SQL
High school graduation or equivalent and five years relevant work experience
Associate's Degree and three years relevant work experience
Bachelor's level degree and one year relevant work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.