The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Construction Inspector ensures compliance with a variety of specifications and regulations. This position is technical and requires administrative work at the full performance level in conducting inspections of construction and contract projects.
Work is performed under limited supervision which is reviewed for completeness and adequacy of results obtained. Considerable contact with the public, Airport employees and work with airfield construction.
Works hours based on assigned projects. Schedule subject to overtime, irregular hours, evenings and weekends based on assignment. Schedule subject to change and emergency calls back to work.
• Must hold valid driver’s license with no more than 6 points and the ability to obtain and maintain city driving permit.
• Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
• AMA driver endorsement (obtain within 120 days of employment).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Prepares and examines technical plans and specifications for contract projects. Field inspector representing the Airport overseeing contractors that have been awarded contracts.
2. Coordinates between contractors and Airport management. Inspect and prepare daily report for all projects. Prepares punch lists for contracts in the programs. Available to meet when questions arise regarding the contract. Available to meet with contractors regarding issues that arise in the field.
3. Conducts inspections in buildings owned by the Airport. These inspections include the main terminal building and all other buildings owned by the airport.
4. Works under the guidance of a Chief Construction Inspector to deal with field construction problems/situations with contractors working on Airport projects.
5. Field inspector representing Airport overseeing contractors awarded contracts / coordinates between contractors & Airport management.
6. Responsible for preparing suggested change orders.
7. Use of technical judgement & discretion.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Considerable knowledge of materials / methods / practices used in building electrical services with some knowledge of HVAC Systems
• Considerable knowledge of critical construction stages for detection & correction of defects / violations
• Knowledge of possible defects in construction & effective corrective measures
• Some knowledge of ordinances / codes / regulations / specifications governing public construction & contracts
• Ability to recognize faulty construction or hazardous conditions
• Ability to prepare / read & interpret construction plans / specifications / blueprints / recognize deviations from plans in construction process
• Ability to establish & maintain effective working relationships with employees / tenants / contractors / public / agencies
Spends the majority of their time walking and standing. Must be able to traverse a wide variety of active construction sites that may include exposure to machinery, moving objects/vehicles, scaffolds, and ladders. Works both inside and outside, with possible exposure to inclement weather. May also include exposure to dust, slippery, uneven surfaces, noise and vibrating tools. Works alone as necessary. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. unassisted.
Associate degree in architecture, civil engineering or related field preferred.
High School Graduation or Equivalent and three years of relevant work experience
Experience in field inspections involving construction contracts required.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for all new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.