The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, real estate services, landscape management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position will report to the In-House Planning and Design Program Manager in the Engineering Services Division of the General Services Department and will supervise up to four employees.
This position will manage engineering programs and assist the In-House Planning and Design Program Manager by leading and mentoring their team, assisting with work assignments and progression, maintaining project and program budgets and schedules, and other assignments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the In-House Design Section Manager with management of section activities
- Lead, supervise, and mentor professional and paraprofessional engineering staff
- Act as a visionary leader, build consensus, empower employees, be flexible, and manage conflict as well as meet deadlines
- Review and seal engineering plans for various transportation infrastructure projects
- Provide expert technical advice, information, and consultation in transportation infrastructure design to consultants, contractors, engineers, other City officials, and the public regarding applicable procedures, regulations, and standards
- Serve as an In-House Design Section representative responsible for providing program level administrative support to a variety of transportation infrastructure programs
- Provide extensive public relations and serve as the project liaison to the public, property owners, media, other government agencies, and other City departments/officials regarding assigned projects
- Manage the administrative aspects of assigned projects: negotiate and monitor budget and expenditures, update project schedules and monitor progress of project in meeting established schedule
- Participate in on-going committees related to transportation infrastructure planning, design and implementation processes
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Thorough engineering project management experience demonstrating progressive responsibility in civil engineering or municipal capital improvement projects is required
• Experience in transportation infrastructure projects is strongly preferred
• Demonstration of consistent past project management successes
• Progressively responsible leadership and organizational experience in project management and program administration
• Demonstrated ability to effectively direct and guide teamwork efforts
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to lead a project team, supervise planning/design staff, and/or serve as a prominent member of a project team
• Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with other City employees and the public
• Effective computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word and Excel)
• Ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision
• Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of transportation engineering
• Considerable knowledge of modern transportation engineering methods and techniques
• Knowledge of intergovernmental laws and procedures relating to transportation engineering
• Knowledge of municipal government administration and the subsequent role of transportation engineering
• Ability to plan, direct and manage the preparation of designs, estimates and specifications
• CAD knowledge required
• Experience with Civil3D preferred
• Ten years of experience in civil engineering or municipal capital improvement projects and 5 years direct supervisory experience
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field with five (5) years of relevant work experience in civil engineering or municipal capital improvement projects is required, including a thorough knowledge of geometric roadway design, hydrology, hydraulics, and construction methods
• Licensure as a Professional Engineer in North Carolina is required
$78,769 - $98,461 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.