The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Professional - Technology
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partner agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery. Charlotte Water Technology is a division of the I&T Department and directly supports Charlotte Water.
Charlotte Water is seeking a Business Systems Manager to lead, develop, and manage, business system supervisors, business system analysts, application administrators, and technical resources. These resources support various business systems and programs that support content management, integration services, and business analytics. The position is responsible for the life-cycle management of the OnBase and eBuilder applications and developing a data and analytics program for Charlotte Water. The data analytics program responsibilities include building and maintaining the data integration architecture, framework, and processes that support data warehouse and business analytics and developing and implementing business processes to manage the related program and system activities. Other essential activities include collaboration with managers and resources to identify business needs and lead planning, budget development, procurement, and managing costs across all activities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervises the work of personnel, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations.
• Facilitates strategic planning for departmental initiatives. Recommends technology to meet current and future needs.
• Participates in the RFP process, selection of solution/vendor, and contract negotiation.
• Monitors program-level budget and deliverables.
• Manages service delivery expectations and ensures system availability for 24x7 operational departments. Drives continuous improvements in availability across technology offerings, functional capabilities, and performance objectives.
• Works with vendor partners to ensure data collection standards and regulatory tracking.
• Serves as a representative of the department at meetings with other technology managers.
• Develops and implements business processes to manage program and system activities.
• Interacts with stakeholders and other departments to identify opportunities and drive growth.
• Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of relational database management systems and system architecture.
• Knowledge of data warehouse system architecture and related architectural frameworks, including Data Vault 2.0 and Dimensional Modeling (Star Schema)
• Knowledge of reporting and dashboarding tools such as Tableau, PowerBI, and SSRS
• Knowledge of Data Governance
• Knowledge of metadata standards and procedures
• Ability to direct and organize project or program activities
• Ability to apply principles and practices of employee supervision, including managing and monitoring work performance, evaluating program/work objectives and effectiveness, and realigning work and staffing assignments
• Ability to think strategically
• Ability to consider the business implications of applying technology to the current and future business environment
• Ability to provide leadership and vision in managing teams and initiatives
• Ability to establish governance teams that offer control and prioritization to administrative support personnel
• Ability to form and define system scope and objectives based upon business needs
• Advanced ability to use WhereScape, Visual Studio. SQL Server Management Studio, Master Data Services, and Tableau.
• Ability to manage vendor relationships
• Ability to meet schedules and deadlines of the work
• Project management methodology and service delivery.
• Principles and practices of budget management, including annual budgeting and long-term forecasting
• Principles and methods of business analysis and business process improvement
• Understand system life cycle management
• Customer service oriented
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Minimum of three years of supervisory experience
• Proficiency in scripting languages such as Transactional SQL, Python, PowerShell, and Batch
• General knowledge of Water and Wastewater Utility business operations
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
• Seven (7) years of experience in business analysis, requirements definition, and information technology support, including prior supervisory experience
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.