Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Storm Water Services Project Engineer serves on the Storm Water Services Design Management Team, performs engineering activities and tasks related to storm water design work.
Offering a $1,500 sign-on bonus upon hire.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop design resolutions to various storm drainage system deficiencies
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic analyses models
- Production of construction project plans utilizing AutoCAD3D
- Interacting with the public, meeting with property owners to represent the City
- Design stream and channel techniques to resolve erosion
- Determine construction cost estimates
- Coordinate utility conflicts with local utilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to successfully perform storm water modeling and design tasks
- Understanding / knowledge of hydrology & hydraulic software such as:
- Hydro CAD
- Storm CAD
- Progressive experience using AutoCAD3D and other engineering software applications
- Familiar with stream restoration techniques to correct erosion problems at point locations
- Develop construction plans for these repairs & improvements in accordance to all local, state and federal permitting requirements
- Knowledge of City of Charlotte Land Development Standards, NCDOT Standards and Specifications and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Water Design Manual
- Utilize efficient time management skills for short-term water projects
- Ability to efficiently and effectively design and manage storm water projects independently
- Good organizational skills to meet expected production design goals for design projects
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and create technical reports
- Ability to work cooperatively with City employees and the public
- Ability to apply conflict resolution techniques
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Driver's License, good driving record and ability to obtain and maintain a City Driving Permit
Licensure as a Professional Engineer
Ability to communicate in both English and Spanish
Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering and three years of progressive experience including storm drainage design.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check and drug screening. If an applicant does not pass the background screening the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.