The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Internal Audit Department provides reasonable assurance that the City of Charlotte has an operating and effective system of internal controls and assists members of management in evaluating the efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
The City of Charlotte’s Internal Audit Department is seeking a Senior Internal Auditor to plan and conduct performance audits. The selected candidate will report to the City Auditor and lead or participate on small audit teams which can consist of the Deputy City Auditor, an audit supervisor, other audit senior(s), or internal auditor.
This position will perform audits that address financial and business operations among highly varied City Departments in accordance with generally accepted government auditing standards (GAGAS). The selected candidate must possess strong technical, leadership, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare detailed plans for performing individual audits including the identification of key risks and controls, determination of audit objectives, and development of an appropriate audit program.
• Prepare and review audit work papers and reports, documenting the result of reviews of assigned activities and recommended management action.
• Prepare audit reports designed to provide management with an objective assessment of systems, processes and operations, and management’s planned corrective actions.
• Assist in the performance of special projects or studies, including risk assessments, fraud investigations and audit department policy updates.
• Supervise and mentor Internal Auditors to ensure quality and on-time delivery.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Degree in accounting, finance or a related field
• Knowledge of GAGAS and Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
• Proficient in MS Office applications which include Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Demonstrated critical thinking and analytical skills
• Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills, including the ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Demonstrated ability to work independently while contributing to the success of the team
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills suitable for all levels of management.
• Four years operational audit experience
• Designation as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), or other relevant certification
• In depth knowledge of governmental accounting and sophisticated governmental entities
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field
• One year operational audit experience
$80,000 - $90,000 Commensurate with relevant experience.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.