The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte's Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partnership agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery.
The City of Charlotte is seeking a Senior IT Project Manager with experience in managing information technology (IT) projects from inception to closure. Responsible for leading multiple medium to large size technology projects of varying complexities and ensuring the project results meet agreed upon scope, budget, schedule, and quality. Additional responsibilities may include coordination with vendors and performing business analysis. May also be responsible for supervising a project coordinator.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads, plans, coordinates, tracks, and delivers information technology projects of medium to high complexity utilizing City of Charlotte established project methodologies/frameworks and processes. Predictive projects are modeled along PMBOK processes and adaptive projects are modeled using a hybrid agile approach.
• Leads the project team and manages performance, identifies project resourcing needs, and facilitates communication to ensure understanding of objectives and assignments and determine progress. Controls the flow of project related information. The City utilizes Microsoft 365 Project Server to manage project schedules and enterprise resources
• Develops and maintains various plans related to the project and schedules. Identifies, monitors, and facilitates resolution of project issues. Proactively identifies, manages, and facilitates resolution of project risks.
• Interacts with business department stakeholders to understand business requirements, help propose solutions, and maintain positive relationships.
• Documents, reviews, and implements project change requests.
• Tracks budget and monitors use of funding allocated to projects.
• Oversee the creation and execution of test plans.
• Documents project scope, deliverables, and implementation approach. Manages all project artifacts/documentation.
• Cooperates with vendors to implement new applications, software, and other features. Assists in negotiating statements of work and service contracts.
• Mentor and advise project managers and coordinators
• Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Project management methodologies predictive and agile methodologies
• English grammar, spelling, and punctuation
• Knowledge of system life cycles and systems development
• Principles and practices of business analysis
• Principles of business process management
• Systems lifecycles
• MS Project Professional
• Use of Microsoft 365 Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint
• Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships
• Fiscal knowledge and skills
• Leadership and effective in leading a project team
• Strong customer service skills
• Analytical and logical approach to problem solving
• Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
• Understand and carry out oral and written directions
• Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
• Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
• Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Identify risk and issues and identify mitigation strategies
• Ability to effectively manage high stress scenarios
• Any industry recognized agile certification such as PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) is advantageous
• Experience managing network infrastructure, firewall upgrades, major system upgrades and application development
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field
• Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience in IT project management
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge, and abilities
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
As of October 1, 2021:
The City of Charlotte requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment for any new City of Charlotte employees.
The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such, will consider reasonable accommodations as required by law.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.