The goal of the City of Charlotte's General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Fleet Management Division is seeking an Automotive Technician (Light Technician Senior) position. The fleet includes a variety of makes and models of equipment. This position will mainly be repairing and maintaining Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge fleet vehicles.
Fleet Management offers career growth opportunities, an annual tool reimbursement and ASE training incentives.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Daily evaluation, inspection, diagnosis, and repair of light and medium duty vehicle fleet.
- Diagnose and repair of electronically controlled gasoline and diesel engines, modern electrical systems, vehicle drivetrains, and steering and suspension on fleet assets.
- Inspect vehicle systems, perform preventative maintenance, diagnosis and repair of failed components on vehicle's body, chassis and auxiliary systems.
- Assess and recommend actions for replacement and/or life cycle use of equipment.
- Utilize fleet maintenance software to accurately document work performed.
- Communicate with all levels of fleet operations and customers ensuring repairs are completed.
- Interpret manuals, electrical diagrams and diagnostic software.
- Understand and follow safety procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience performing journeyman level automotive service technician work on all types of light and medium equipment.
- Works well without direct supervision.
- Knowledge of the methods, tools and materials used in maintaining and repairing automotive and related equipment.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to exercise adequate safety precautions against occupational hazards.
- Ability to effectively be part of team.
- Skilled in the use and care of tools, equipment and materials used in all types of automotive repair work.
- Ability to diagnose defects in automotive equipment.
- Perform complex mechanical repairs independently.
- Analyze, evaluate and effectively write diagnosis, recommendations and work performed to complete work orders.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to troubleshoot communications equipment malfunctions
- Ability to operate technical and computer test equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds of equipment and/or tools
- Possess or obtain the following licensures within ninety (90) days of hire:
- Valid North Carolina driver's license
- NC Inspection license
- C Recovery & Recycling License
- May be required to periodically work overtime, alternate shifts, holidays and/or weekends to meet Fleet staffing needs.
- Ability to obtain a City driving permit.
- Degree or certification from a technical school or college.
- Considerable experience in performing journeyman level technician work.
- Experience with diagnosing and repairing light to medium duty fleet.
- ASE certification(s) applicable to position.
- At least three years of experience diagnosing and repairing light and medium fleet.
Five (5) years of relevant work experience, or a High School diploma/GED with three (3) years of relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties.
$43,443 - $54,303 Commensurate With Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Please note that all job offers are contingent upon an applicant successfully passing a new hire background check, drug screening, and proof of COVID-19 vaccination. If an applicant does not pass the background screening or vaccination requirement, the offer will be rescinded.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.