The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position performs a variety of work involving field work orders associated with water services and metering equipment.
Work involves turning service on/off; validating meter readings; installing, maintaining, and removing meters; investigating water quality and pressure complaints; handling move out orders when service is cancelled; fixing minor leaks; cleaning out meter boxes; serving as a first responder for water/network emergencies; marking meter box locations; and utilizing mobile equipment and peripheral devices to manage work orders. This position makes decisions concerning field conditions, takes corrective actions, handles customer interactions, cleans and stocks work truck, and maps out routes.
1st and 2nd shifts available.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Receives and completes assigned service work orders within a specified time period; accurately records the water meter readings; and enters pertinent notes associated with the work performed along with any notable conditions at each service address into a portable laptop.
• Performs comprehensive field inspection of the water meter, register/wiring, and transmitter; validates proper and accurate reading match with register; and provides readings for billings.
• Replaces inoperable or malfunctioning meter and/or metering equipment as required.
• Performs water flow test on meter to ensure equipment is functioning properly.
• Inspects water meter connections for leaks and replaces material as needed to repair leaks.
• Investigates customer complaints regarding such matters as high meter readings, noise, leaks, water quality, low/high water pressure, etc.; escalates situation if required.
• Performs meter box maintenance by cleaning out dirt and debris; ensures box lid fits correctly; and reports any meter box deficiencies or service line repairs.
• Repairs meter equipment.
• Reads maps to ascertain accurate location of customer addresses, lines, and right of ways.
• Performs preventative maintenance and daily inspections of vehicle and field computer equipment for proper function and reports malfunctions or deficiencies.
• Reports on fire hydrant leaks, water main leaks, and other water distribution issues in a timely manner.
• Reports on missing manholes covers and valve lid covers.
• Communicates to internal and external customers on how a meter and transmitter operate.
• Serves as first responder to water distribution and network emergencies.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of water utility operations.
• Knowledge of principles of customer service.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Skill in reading map.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to follow directives and instructions.
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited school.
• Two (2) years of related work experience preferably experience in customer service and water utility operations.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
• Desires AWWA Meter Technician Certification.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.