The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Center for Digital Government named Charlotte one of the top five digital cities in the nation. The City of Charlotte's Innovation & Technology department (I&T) provides executive-level leadership, delivers technology services to city departments and partnership agencies, and coordinates information technology initiatives across the organization to support, enhance and advance citizen service delivery.
The City of Charlotte Innovation and Technology Department is seeking a senior-level expert in Microsoft .NET C# and related technologies with extensive experience in application systems analysis, design, and programming. A focus for this position will be application integrations. The position will support current integrations and applications and help propel the City forward in the latest development techniques.
Using .Net and the latest development tools, this position will deliver a variety of applications, integrations, and solutions that will make Charlotte a better place to live and work. This position will also be involved with back-end APIs, front-end web applications, and mobile apps.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Design, develop, and maintain code objects using Microsoft development tools, and other software development tools as necessary for a project
• Work with customers to determine the scope and effort for a project and document in a Scope of Work document
• Work with customers to gather business process requirements and system requirements. Document in Requirements documents
• Provide customer support and trouble-shooting for applications as assigned. This includes applications and integrations developed in-house, as well as commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) applications
• Assist in the quality assurance process for projects as necessary, which includes tasks such as developing Test Plans, executing test plans, and doing ad-hoc testing
• Follow Configuration Management and Change Management procedures as established by the I&T Applications Division
• Perform any other assignments as directed by the Technical Team Leader
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Expert competence in Microsoft development technologies including .NET development in C#, ,NET Core, ASP.NET; SQL Server, SSIS packages, and SQL Server Reporting Services.
• Experience in solving integration needs with integration tools such as BizTalk, Boomi, MuleSoft.
• Provide technical leadership on complex projects.
• Formulating application scope and objectives.
• Preparing specifications from which programs will be written. Responsible for program design, coding, testing, debugging, and documentation.
• Bachelor’s degree with three (3) years of relevant experience
• Integration toolsets, such as Microsoft BizTalk
• Oracle PL/SQL
• React JS
• Mobile Development (React Native)
Requires an Associate’s degree with five (5) years of relevant experience
$86,843 - $105,000 Commensurate with Experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.