The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
As an application expert in the Utilities Management System (UMS) support team, the Lead Business Analyst (Lead BA) provides consultative user support, application data analysis, business process improvement, and analytical support for enterprise applications at field and back office locations.
The core applications currently supported are the ABB Service Suite mobile workforce management system, Hansen Banner customer information system, and the Citizen Web Portal self-service applications for water, sewer, and storm water utility services. The Lead BA mentors and supervises a small team of analysts to provide daily operational support and guidance to field and non-field users at various locations.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Provides user training, mentoring, and technical application support of enterprise applications at various locations. Trains, schedules and supervises team members in execution of field support activities.
• Conducts application testing in a highly collaborative environment. Documents test results and communicates results to vendor and technical resources for corrections. Schedules implementation of tested enhancements and defect corrections.
• Conducts usage and system problem analysis and resolution at local and remote locations. Documents and coordinates implementation of the problem resolution with internal and external technical resources.
• Builds and maintains a detailed understanding of field service and back office business processes, system functionality, and related requirements. Documents and trains staff on the use of the system to adhere to documented processes.
• Identifies user information requirements and develops ad-hoc SQL queries for analysis and translates into custom report specifications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to respond in person to address field service issues and requests, as needed
• Skilled in analysis and troubleshooting of an integrated software application
• Ability to form and define technical requirements, based upon business requirements
• Skilled in troubleshooting application issues using SQL query tools and MS Excel, to prove a hypothesis
• Skilled in writing and executing structured test cases
• Ability to read and interpret project plans and schedules
• Knowledge of computing environments used in enterprise applications
• Ability to communicate technical topics to all levels of technology users
• Ability to provide leadership in managing staff and contractors
• Skilled in writing functional and technical requirements for both real-time and batch application interfaces
• Ability to devise procedures to solve moderately complex information systems problems
• A four-year degree and experience with field workforce management applications, such as ABB Service Suite or Hansen Banner
• Direct experience planning and managing technology projects.
• High school graduation or equivalent and seven years relevant work experience OR Associate's Degree and five years relevant work experience OR Bachelor's level degree and three years relevant work experience
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.