The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is responsible for collecting Charlotte Water’s infrastructure in compliance with North Carolina’s land surveying standards, aids with Unmanned Aerial Vehicle missions, post processing field data and other image related analytical efforts to support Charlotte Water’s Geographic Information Systems team.
This position collects, post-processes, and catalogs geospatial data related to water and wastewater infrastructure using various surveying practices. This position will gather data and perform quality control for analysis, presentations, and other analytical platforms. This position is responsible for aiding with UAV missions, inventorying the departments UAV equipment, keeping the department up with UAV industry trends, as well as FAA guidelines and regulations. This position will require participation in projects that involve other team members as well as aiding with vendor field work.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Field survey collection of water and wastewater infrastructure assets.
• Geospatial data quality control
• Assist with determining the location and dimensions of objects utilizing survey techniques in tandem with unmanned aerial vehicles.
• Participation in vendor field work.
• Post-processing survey data for inclusion in an enterprise database environment.
• Use mapping and cartography programs to create maps based on collected geospatial data as well as aerial imagery.
• Archive and organize images and data obtained from field collection.
• Train team members as well as vendors on Charlotte Water’s preferred survey collection methods.
• Collaborates with other Charlotte Water departments related to surveying efforts as well as UAV operations.
• Assist with field efforts related to various data collection projects.
• Evaluation and adjustments of procedures, processes, techniques, models and/or methodologies used to capture, process, analyze and store geospatial data.
• Be on-call for emergency related UAV missions
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of land surveying best practices.
• Knowledge of UAV deployment best practices.
• Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems.
• Knowledge of Trimble Suite of applications.
• Knowledge of ESRI suite of applications including use of web applications and mobile applications.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work effectively with people with different professional backgrounds.
• Ability to network with internal and external stakeholders.
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization.
• Ability to obtain a City driving permit.
• Bachelor’s degree in Geomatics or related field.
• North Carolina Professional Land Survey license.
• 2 years of professional licensed surveying experience.
• A current FAA part 107 license
• High School Graduation or Equivalent
• Minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience with 2 years’ experience using GIS applications
Licenses, Certifications, or Registrations:
• Requires a valid driver's license.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.