The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position inspects treatment plant construction and assists in minimizing impact to ongoing plant operations.
Work involves observing construction, documenting progress, and identifying deficiencies; coordinating construction with others; participating in all aspects of project management from design review to project specifications to material reviews; overseeing a variety of projects; and presenting solutions to problems. This position monitors, inspects and administers construction contracts; ensures compliance; serves as a liaison with related contract, staff, government, and non-government entities; assists in maintaining drinking water quality; and assists in reducing sanitary sewer overflows.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitors contracts and inspects construction for treatment plants, pumping stations, and large diameter water transmission and sewer collection lines for compliance with contract documents.
• Coordinates with plant personnel to minimize construction impact on existing plant operations.
• Assists with inspection and construction administrative functions.
• Responds to project-related complaints from the public and internal staff.
• Plans and manages special projects; maintains project documents.
• Oversees project/contract equipment.
• Attends required meetings.
• Inspects critical assets.
• Assists in preparation of record drawings.
• Assists in preparation of punch lists; follows up to verify completion; and participates in final inspections.
• Coordinates and performs related testing.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of project management.
• Knowledge of construction of water and wastewater plants.
• Knowledge of plumbing, HVAC, electrical, and instrumentation construction.
• Skill in communicating, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to notice details and deficiencies.
• Ability to work with diverse teams.
• Ability to qualify for a City driving permit.
• Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or Construction Science
• Three (3) years of relevant work experience in operation/construction/inspection of sewer or water treatment plants, preferably related to municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities; operation/construction/inspection of large diameter water transmission and sewer collection lines; complex structural, plumbing, HVAC, electrical and/or instrumentation construction
• Associate's Degree
• Five (5) years of relevant work experience in operation/construction/inspection of sewer or water treatment plants, preferably related to municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities; operation/construction/inspection of large diameter water transmission and sewer collection lines; complex structural, plumbing, HVAC, electrical and/or instrumentation construction
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.