Storm Water Services' mission is to serve the City of Charlotte by improving surface waters and conveying rainwater safely through well-maintained storm drainage systems. Each year Storm Water Services invests $100+ million in capital improvements and staff manages hundreds of storm drainage improvement projects. Storm Water Services is one of the largest stormwater utilities in the Southeast with approximately 215,000 customer accounts and more than 200 full-time positions.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is a senior level engineering management position based in Storm Water Services on the Design Management Team requiring expert knowledge in all aspects of stormwater infrastructure design principles and practices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct, mentor, manage, and provide technical support to internal engineering staff for project planning, design, and construct of stormwater infrastructure repair and improvement projects.
- Manage multiple consultant Project Engineering Services For Minor Storm Drainage Projects contracts which includes but not limited to support for internal senior engineering staff providing expert guidance to contract engineers regarding problem resolution and project scope consistent with current Storm Water principles and practices (currently located at Belmont Facility).
- Manage contract invoicing, funding, and amendments to make sure project production meets set goals for the surge work. This includes meeting with consultant firms regularly to discuss external staff production and support of the contract.
- Provide performance evaluation and guidance for direct reports and make recommendations for annual compensation merit in accordance with approved policy and budgets.
- Provide professional North Carolina seal for his or her internal direct reports on engineering documents including plans, calculations, reports, or as needed.
- Successful applicant will be required to work with construction staff to resolve any constructability issues or design modification(s) needed during construction for both internal and external engineers.
- Attend and participate in senior level management meetings, provide and support goals for Storm Water policies and practices, support Storm Water Strategic Plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in managing consultant contracts.
- Proficient in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling principles, methods and software.
- Proficient in problem solving skills for resolution of storm drainage repair, rehabilitation, improvements and be able to lead engineering staff regarding these principles.
- Proficient knowledge of Charlotte-Mecklenburg Storm Drainage Design Manual, City of Charlotte Land Development Standards, NCDOT Standards and Specifications, and other local ordinances, requirements, and/or manuals related to the design of stormwater projects.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written; ability to work cooperatively with other City employees and the public; ability to plan, prioritize and organize work and complete assignments with minimal supervision; ability to apply conflict resolution techniques.
- Experience in managing, supervising or performing as a mentor/team leader for other engineers/staff in planning, design, and construction activities desired.
- Experienced in engineering environmental impacts associated with drainage project design regarding local, state and federal regulations.
- Requires a valid driver’s license, a good driving record, and must be eligible to obtain a City Driving Permit.
- Knowledge and experience in storm water management, engineering principles, roadway design, drainage construction and permitting practices.
- Coaching and management skills in leading high-level professional staff of direct reports consistent with the Storm Water Strategic Plan
Bachelor's Level Degree - Engineering and five years relevant experience.
Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE).
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.