The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position is based in the Landscape Management Division of the General Services Department and is responsible for administration and supervisory work involving landscape design, landscape maintenance, and horticulture activities. The position is responsible for supervising the contract technician positions along with all aspects of contract management of grounds maintenance and landscape installation projects performed by contractors for City-owned Facilities, Medians, and Cemeteries. Contract management includes contract development and enforcement; regular site inspections; reporting and documentation of contract adherence; communications with contractors and City departmental staff; and payment approval.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, organize, assign, and inspect the work performed by landscape contractors.
- Ensure operations are safe, proper, effective, and efficient; meeting departmental goals.
- Serve as hiring manager of direct reports and ensure adherence of performance review process for employees; conduct performance reviews, coaching and corrective discipline as required.
- Conduct contractor meetings.
- Assist in revising and preparing contract specifications and request change orders as needed.
- Respond to any horticultural or sight distance issues during field inspections or as requested.
- Effectively communicate in a prompt, courteous, and professional manner to all customers.
- Prepare inspection reports; document communications; and keep records, invoices, and pictures relating to contract work or contractor performance issues.
- Request purchase orders as needed. Receive on invoices promptly and document invoicing in MUNIS.
- Schedule work week to efficiently implement job duties and organize pertinent information.
- Conduct field inspections to ensure compliance with contract specifications and standards.
- Manage equipment and tool inventory, recommend equipment for purchase.
- Investigate and respond to customer inquiries and complaints promptly and determine corrective action.
- Provide education to external and internal customers and collaborate with General Services staff, other city departments, citizens, homeowner groups, private businesses, NCDOT, and others.
- Use CityWorks work management software, Microsoft Office programs, Charlotte Explorer, and MUNIS financial software to perform administrative responsibilities.
- Track performance, prepare informational/analytical reports and spread sheets, and use data to drive decisions that implement changes in practices to consistently improve upon best practices.
- Prepare and interpret landscape maintenance and construction contract specifications.
- Solicit, hire, inspect, approve/disapprove work, and approve payments for contracted work.
- Manage and participate in managing snow/ice event response.
- Perform related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Requires thorough knowledge of plants indigenous to North Carolina and the southeastern U.S.
- Considerable experience in all types of landscape operations including, but not limited to, landscape maintenance and construction, tree maintenance, equipment operation, irrigation maintenance and repair, pesticide and fertilizer applications, etc.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to plan, prioritize, manage and organize multiple projects, and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, contracts, soil test results, and other technical reports.
- Experience and abilities to manage people, supervise contractors, and conduct public relations. Requires extensive public contact.
- Requires exercising independent judgment and initiative.
- Requires good computer skills (Windows, Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Power Point).
- Valid North Carolina or South Carolina Driver’s license with good driving record
- Work hours may include nights, weekends, and holidays; and may require working in adverse weather conditions.
N.C. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
- High School Graduate or equivalent with three years relative experience, or an Associate’s Degree with one year relative work experience or equivalent education, background and skills to perform the essential functions of the position.
- N.C. Landscape Contractor’s license or ability to obtain within six months of hire date.
- N.C. Pesticide Applicator’s license with required subclasses (Turf & Ornamentals) or the ability to obtain within six months of hire date
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.