The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position performs skilled work in areas of maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting as necessary on equipment associated with the operation of water/wastewater treatment plants and supporting sites.
Work involves performing tests to determine operating efficiency of equipment; inspecting plant and equipment; maintaining and repairing equipment; reading blue prints, manuals, and specifications; maintaining and repairing piping and associated building structure; troubleshooting and making needed repairs or rebuilds; and maintaining a working vehicle, set of tools, and parts related to tasks. This position documents readings, obtains quotes; orders parts; prepares reports, ensures safety procedures are followed; and maintains clean work areas.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintains and repairs mechanical equipment associated with the operation of water treatment plants, wastewater treatment plants, raw water pump stations, remote distribution pump stations, storage tanks, booster stations; and sewage lift stations.
• Perform preventive maintenance on all equipment.
• Performs scheduled equipment maintenance; lubricates chains and sprockets; services air valves; pulls inspection covers; replaces v-belts; and checks sumps.
• Conducts tests to determine operating efficiency of equipment.
• Starts and stops pumps and motors; operates emergency generators.
• Conducts monthly inspections on vehicles, power tools, folk lifts, crane truck, stationary cranes, and safely retrieval systems.
• Troubleshoots, rebuilds, repairs, or replaces equipment.
• Performs other building maintenance (such as replacing lights, broken windows).
• Installs/replaces piping, plumbing fixtures, etc.
• Maintains related records including hours worked; chemicals and materials used.
• Generates reports
• Follows related safety regulations.
• Maintains work truck, tools, and parts related to tasks.
• Assists other areas of Charlotte Water as requested.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Knowledge of computerized maintenance management software.
• Knowledge of operating and repairing related equipment.
• Knowledge of municipal waste water and certain chemicals.
• Skill in working with mechanical, welding, and plumbing tools.
• Ability to read blueprints, manuals, and specifications for troubleshooting work.
• Ability to read and write.
• Ability to obtain a City driving permit.
• Ability to follow safety regulations
The work is very heavy work and requires applying up to 20 pounds of force constantly; applying 50 pounds of force frequently; and exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Work is performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others. Requires working in confined spaces, below ground including wet wells and working at heights, and working on-call as scheduled subject to emergency call back.
• Maintenance Technologist Certification
• Experience within water or wastewater treatment facilities.
• High school diploma or GED from an accredited school; desires college courses in a related field.
• Minimum of three (3) years of related maintenance and mechanical work experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
• Requires valid driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
• Requires a NC Collection System Operators Grade I state certification (or obtaining level 1 certification within 18 months of hire).
• Desires NC AWWA-WEA Maintenance Technologist certification.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.