The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) is seeking Special Transportation Drivers to work various shifts and hours during a seven day work week. All drivers must be able to work flexible hours and shifts to include nights, weekends, and holidays. This position includes driving a mini-bus and physically providing assistance to passengers who may use wheelchairs and have other conditions requiring assistance from the driver.
The Special Transportation Driver provides safe, courteous, and reliable door-to-door paratransit transportation to disabled, mobility impaired, and other eligible passengers in accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements.
This vacancy is Part Time, min 30 hours with benefits, can lead to full time position. This position is designated as safety sensitive, subject to random drug and alcohol testing under Federal Transportation (FTA) regulations.
Hours: 3:00pm to 12:00am; Saturday & Sunday; holidays; nights and weekends. Must be available to work various shifts
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide safe / courteous / timely / dependable service while transporting CATS customers
- Operate CATS Paratransit vehicles safely on scheduled trips
- Provide stellar customer service when interacting with customers
- Ability to be flexible & adaptable to changing environments
- Cheerful & good temperament when assisting clients from door to vehicle
- Boarding of customers involves:
- stooping & twisting while securing belts / straps
- Ensure patron & mobility device tied down safely
- Provide information in friendly & courteous manner to customers when requests are made on:
- carrying packages
- deploying the lift / ramp
- securing manual or electric wheelchair
- Safely & efficiently operate specialized vehicle in transporting customers
- Inspects assigned vehicle for mechanical readiness prior to / after shift & document findings on specified paperwork
- Professional in uniform / maintaining clean & neat appearance
- Use of two-way radio & electronic device to track trip requests & receive instructions while performing duties
- Collect required fare
- Maintain accurate log of daily activities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Professional driving experience with daily public contact to include:
- school or transit bus
- Friendliness & being courteous when speaking / interacting with customers
- Helpfulness & understanding of other’s needs
- Sensitivity & being attuned to needs of disabled patrons
- High integrity & respects for others
- Ability to read / interpret maps & complex schedules
- General knowledge of the Mecklenburg County streets & traffic patterns
- Ability to follow oral & written instructions
- Ability to operate two-way radio / Mobile Data Terminal computer / hydraulic wheelchair lift system
- Ability to read / write / communicate effectively
- Ability to work variable shifts
- Must be 21 years or older
- Clean driving record with no more than 6 points
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain & maintain City driving permit
- Possess Class C license with passenger endorsement
- At least two years of driving history
- Ability to successfully pass pre-employment DOT physical & fitness exam
- Demonstrate ability to push / pull person in wheelchair up to extreme weights
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stoop / bend / reach / lift / stand / sit for long periods of time
- Ability to physically operate vehicle
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions
- Certified Nursing Assistant experience
- Class A or B CDL with Passenger endorsement
- CDL Permit with P endorsement
- DOT medical card
- Bilingual (Spanish)
High School diploma/GED with one year of relevant work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience that provides the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the essential job duties
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.