The goal of the City of Charlotte’s General Services Department is to guide agencies through innovative and efficient deployment of resources to meet their missions and fulfill the needs of the City in a rapidly evolving and complex environment. The Department will design and deliver expanded, shared services across departments and for the City of Charlotte to improve performance and save taxpayer money. General Services consists of capital project management, fleet services, procurement, environmental services, property management, and other support services.
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The City of Charlotte is a leader in arboriculture, tree management and urban forest management. We are seeking a technically adept Labor Crew Chief II based in the City Arborist's Section within General Service’s Landscape Management Division. This position serves as supervisor of a tree maintenance crew involved primarily in tree maintenance, operating medium and heavy equipment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Schedules, organizes, assigns, and participates in work of tree maintenance crew specializing in pruning and removal of trees of all sizes.
- Must be able to properly and safely operate bucket trucks of varying heights, climb trees with rope and saddle, and operate chipper, chain saws and other related equipment used in the arboriculture industry.
- Ensures that crew members are properly trained to complete assigned tasks in a safe manner. Provides time and/or instruction for crew members to attend safety training, learn to operate different equipment, learn or practice new techniques, and receive training from other sources.
- Ensure job site and work zone within street rights of way are in accordance with CDOT WATCH handbook and NCDOT regulations.
- Maintains knowledge in all safety procedures for both equipment and personnel.
- Initiates requests for supplies, materials, and tools.
- Ensures that tools and equipment remain in good condition. Inspects the condition of assigned equipment daily. Safely operates, maintains, cleans and makes minor repairs to any equipment to complete the daily tasks.
- Maintains inventory of all assigned tools and equipment and retains a general working knowledge of safe practices and procedures relating to those tools and equipment.
- Maintains the appropriate licenses for carrying out assigned tasks including driver’s license, CDL etc. Attends classes, training sessions, seminars etc. in order to acquire recertification credits and/or updates.
- Participate in on-call program and emergency storm cleanup (work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays as needed).
- Use Cityworks work management software, Microsoft Office programs, and Virtual Charlotte to perform administrative responsibilities.
- Completes daily work reports. Maintains accurate schedules and completes other work reports and requests as needed.
- Assists crewmembers in developing their performance and development work plans. Properly and accurately completes evaluation of crewmembers’ work plan in accordance with City and department time frames. Documents performance incidents as appropriate.
- Perform related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of arboriculture and tree maintenance operations.
- Good working knowledge of arboriculture and of trees indigenous to North Carolina and the southeastern U.S. Uses the knowledge in arboriculture maintenance.
- Requires knowledge of tools, equipment, and materials used in the arboriculture industry.
- Ability to assign, supervise and inspect work of staff.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Requires good communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to deal courteously and tactfully with subordinates, co-workers and the public.
- Ability to perform moderate to heavy manual labor for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to read, write, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to use mobile devices including smart phones and tablets.
• Three (3) years of supervisory experience in arboriculture or horticulture fields.
• ISA Certified Arborist.
• High School Diploma/GED.
• Five (5) years of experience in tree maintenance operations.
• Valid NC or SC driver’s license Class B with CDL airbrake endorsement and good driving record.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.