The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
This position tests the sewer systems of Charlotte Water for blockages using acoustics.
Work involves reading maps to determine manhole locations; manually digging out utilities; performing acoustic testing as a team to determine manhole condition; conducting inspections; entering data into the system; and making sure safety signage is properly used. This position ensures equipment and vehicles are in good operating order; maintains inventory; receives and takes parts and materials to work sites as needed; and makes sure vehicles are kept clean.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Performs manual and semi-skilled labor tasks related to the inspection and general assessment of the sewer gravity system
· Drives to/from work sites.
· Reads maps to locate manholes.
· Locates utilities on the job; digs out utilities manually.
· Opens/closes manholes.
· Tests wastewater mains for blockages using the SL-RAT equipment; performs acoustic testing as a team.
· Performs simple measurements; interprets meter readings ; and performs routine safety inspections.
· Documents on maps and updates information in work order system.
· Receives parts and materials from warehouse personnel; interacts with utility customers.
· Transports materials, tools, and equipment to and from job sites; sets up and removes warning signs and traffic control devices.
· Operates the following: electronic utility locators; small hand and power tools; gas monitors; and computer systems.
· Maintains utility vehicles in clean, good operating condition as assigned.
· Maintains truck inventory; maintains clean and safe work area.
· Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of safety practices, confined space procedures, and proper use of hand signals for equipment operations.
· Knowledge of gas monitoring equipment; pipe sizes and materials; and gravity sewer systems.
· Knowledge of basic computer software and communications equipment.
· Skill in operating small equipment.
· Skill in the use and care of basic hand/power tools.
· Skill in using brush removal equipment.
· Skill in operating light trucks/small off-road equipment.
· Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, as well as with hand signals.
· Ability to read and write at a level appropriate for job functions.
· Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to read and interpret maps.
· Ability to work in a team atmosphere.
· Ability to deal with and resolve conflict within a team.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and the general public.
· Ability to obtain City driver’s permit.
The work is heavy work and requires applying up to 20 pounds of force constantly; applying 30 pounds of force frequently; and exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crawling, grasping, handling, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, expressing ideas by spoken word, shouting above noises, visual acuity in data/color/observations/equipment, and walking.
Work is performed regularly where decisions are made that could lead to major community or organizational consequences if there is a failure to make the appropriate decision at the time. Requires working in confined spaces.
· High school diploma or GED from an accredited school.
· Two (2) years related construction and/or utility experience.
Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
Requires valid driver’s license.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
If you have technical issues submitting your application, click here.