The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
Work involves performing lead and skilled to semi-skilled tasks in maintaining and repairing water and wastewater collections systems; providing daily reports; ensuring employees follow safety and work rules in accordance with regulations and policies; and auditing work of technicians. This position also participates, depending on assigned area, in repairing and installing water and sewer lines; cutting out manhole right-of-way’s; cleaning sewer lines; and testing and repairing meters and water hydrants.
· Performs lead, skilled, and semi-skilled tasks related to repair and maintenance of wastewater collection and water distribution systems; cleans pipes; exercises and repairs water valves; repairs and installs fire hydrants; installs and fixes house/building connections and trench boxes; and acts as first responders to SSOs.
· Identifies hazards to determine if job can be performed safely; sets up safety zones; conducts required safety checks for work in confined spaces. Serves as the competent person on the job site.
· Checks elevations for proper grade; installs proper trenching and shoring; excavates areas to proper elevation; restores area to its previous condition; remediates spills; and locates infrastructure.
· Clears easements for manholes; cuts manholes; cleans off street sewer lines; and cleans sewer mains.
· Utilizes the following: mini excavators, jetters, hydraulic generators for hydrant and valve trucks, rodders, and vac machines.
· Utilizes the following: hand and power tools; forklifts; backhoes; flatbeds; front end loaders; dump trucks; street saws, Ram X, TV camera.
· Gathers data and information; completes and enters work orders; maintains records and prepares reports; and assists in planning a job.
· Conducts pre-trip and post trip truck checks.
· Conducts and documents job safety requirements. Makes decisions concerning City Right of Ways and traffic control.
· Functions in a leadership and supervisory role onsite; assigns and reviews work of other work team members; trains other personnel; and serves as a competent person on jobsite. Is responsible for completing performance reviews for crew members. Helps to develop skills improvement plans for employees not meeting standards.
· Enters and completes work orders in system making sure all costs are accounted for including materials, equipment, and labor.
· Supervises and coordinates work activities of assigned staff; assigns work, monitors status of work, and inspects completed work; participates and provides input in staffing decisions relative to hiring, firing, discipline, and promotional opportunities; evaluates performance; mentors staff; and aids with career development.
· Trains new and existing crew member on policies and procedures, on how to execute and complete a variety of service orders, on how to use related computer equipment; and on how to operate related machinery.
· Reviews work assigned for completion and quality; inspects manholes.
· Evaluates material, labor, and equipment requirements for daily tasks; acquires necessary equipment and materials.
· Responds to customer inquiries and issues.
· Responds to emergencies and works a rotating on-call schedule.
· Performs other related job duties as assigned.
· Responsible for documenting mid-year and annual performance evaluations of assigned employees
· Knowledge of safety practices and emergency response procedures.
· Knowledge of proper customer service.
· Knowledge of conflict resolution techniques.
· Knowledge related to assigned field area.
· Skill in using basic hand and power tools.
· Skill in operating light, medium, and heavy equipment and trucks.
· Skill in communicating, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to follow oral and written directions.
· Ability to read and interpret top and street maps.
· Ability to work as a team member.
· Ability to train others.
· Ability to plan and schedule short-term work.
· Ability to assign and review work of others.
· Ability to work under tight deadlines or emergency situations.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and the general public.
· Ability to coach and motivate others.
The work is medium work and requires applying 30 pounds of force frequently and exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, manual dexterity, perceiving sounds at normal speaking levels, distinguishing among sounds, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, repetitive motion, speaking, talking, visual acuity in data/color/observations/equipment/inspections, and walking.
Work is performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs. Requires working, at times, in confined spaces; working overtime and on various shifts; responding to emergencies; and being on-call.
· Licenses, Certifications or Registrations:
· Requires a valid driver’s license.
· Requires a valid Class A commercial driver’s license (CDL) with tanker endorsement (or obtain within required time of hire).
· Depending on assigned area, requires one or more of the following certifications (or ability to obtain within required time of hire): AWWA Customer Service; Grade I Wastewater Collection; Grade 2 Sewer certification; Grade C Water Distribution; NC AWWA Water Meter Technician.
· Requires completion of three (3) Skills Matrix Leadership and Development courses within one (1) year of promotion/hire.
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Upload Resume to Start an Application|