The City of Tucson Information Technology Department (ITD) is hiring for a Systems Analyst. ITD provides support for all departments within the City organization spanning several lines of business including citizen services, public safety, public works, and back-office business applications. The diversity of business functions and supporting technologies makes for a dynamic work environment that is both challenging and rewarding.
Systems Analysts provide technical subject matter expertise for new projects and initiatives; proactively maintain enterprise software applications; provide end-user technical support; and document systems and support procedures. The ideal candidate is a dynamic team-player with strong technical and communication skills willing to help advance the role of technology in the City as a Systems Analyst.
This position requires advanced application system support, analytical and documentation skills to support the business needs of the organization. Top candidates will also have strong interpersonal and communication skills as Systems Analysts frequently interact and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
This is an in-person position with the possibility of hybrid schedule.
- Medical: Choice between a high deductible plan (HSA or HRA), or Network plan.
- Dental: Choice between a national dental PPO and a local dental HMO.
- Vision: Coverage for annual eye exam and glasses or contacts, plus LASIK.
- Life: City-paid coverage for you & dependents, plus option to buy more.
- Long-Term Disability: Income replacement of up to 60% of your base salary in the event of a qualifying disability.
- Employee Assistance Program: Enhance your wellbeing when life doesn’t go as planned.
- Flexible Spending: Pay for qualified health and dependent care expenses using pretax dollars.
- Colonial Voluntary Benefits: Financial help in the event of cancer, hospitalization, accident, more.
Your Security and Future
- Pension: Generous pension plans that help both civilian and public safety employees retire more comfortably.
- Deferred Compensation: Save more toward a comfortable retirement with a 457(b) plan.
- Training & Tuition Assistance: Pursue your dream through internal training or financial help toward a degree.
- Education Assistance, Reimbursement, and Qualified Loan Repayment Assistance Program: Get assistance paying off your student loan debt.
- Back-Up Care: Care for your loved ones when your regular care is unavailable.
Your Peace of Mind
- Paid Parental Leave: Six (6) weeks paid leave when you welcome a child, plus other generous leave policies for FML, Medical and USERRA.
- Paid Time Away: New hires enjoy 37 days of paid time off in the first year, with time increasing steadily thereafter (In year one: 13 accrued days of vacation, 13 accrued days of sick leave, and 11 paid holidays).
- Employee Discounts: Generous discounts, ranging from car rentals to computers, gifts to groceries, electronics to entertainment.
- Social Connectedness: Forge connections with the community we serve through paid volunteerism and payroll-deducted charitable giving.
- Assesses the needs of end-users by documenting current physical and logical systems and new system requirements through the use of interviews and formal structured analysis techniques.
- Elicits and documents system requirements through a variety of processes including interviews, observation, workshops and formal analysis techniques.
- Assesses the impact system changes and issues will have on integrated systems.
- Plan for updates and software release upgrades in collaboration with other ITD resources.
- Apply enhancement/upgrades to software applications. Ensures the installation of all necessary software components on servers, desktops and mobile clients in collaboration with other ITD resources.
- Designs, prepares, and executes test plans.
- Analyze business processes to develop clear, concise and unambiguous requirement documents.
- Develops program specifications, including logical procedures to solve problems or provide more efficient computer operations, develops cost statistics, and presents recommendations to management.
- Writes computer programs, designs, prepares, and executes test plans, creates backup plans, and initiates new systems or programs.
- Prepares and presents training materials and instructs user personnel in the use of computer systems. Develops procedure manuals for end-users.
- Create system backup and recovery plans for continuity of operations in cooperation with other IT resources
- Periodically evaluates implemented systems and presents progress reports to management.
- Troubleshoot and solves daily production system problems as they occur.
- Occasionally directs helpers, assistants, seasonal employees, interns, volunteers or temporary employees and may temporarily act in a higher capacity.
Minimum Education Level & Type: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experienced Qualifications: At least 3 years of experience in systems analysis, design programming, testing, and implementing computer-based information systems,
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of this position may be considered.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science
- Master's degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or Computer Science
- Outstanding problem solving and trouble shooting skills are essential. Advance level skills in systems analysis and design with a background in programming are strongly preferred. Candidates should have an understanding of scripting languages and the ability to write scripts to automate the running of multiple commands. Strong candidates will have an understanding of structured query language (SQL) and the ability to apply basic data manipulation SQL in practice.
As part of the online application process all applicants are required to upload both a Cover Letter and Resume as a single PDF document. Cover Letters and Resumes will be reviewed and scored. Please ensure your application contains the required materials prior to submission.
* Applications received without a cover letter and resume will be considered incomplete. *
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated on the education and work experience in their employment profile and the responses to their supplemental questions and will proceed with a resume review evaluation process. Following the resume review process, the top 5 scoring applicants will be invited to participate in a virtual Oral Board interview.
Virtual Oral Boards will be held the week of October 15, 2023, via Microsoft Teams
Upon completion of all examination processes, the highest scoring applicants will be placed on the Civil Service Employment List. An applicant's ranking on the Civil Service list will be based on their final score which will be calculated as:
- 10% of your rating for education and work experience
- 10% of the rating for the Resume Review
- 80% of your rating for your Oral Board Interview
This recruitment will establish a civil service list that will be utilized to fill vacancies occurring within the next 6 months. Post list hiring interviews may be conducted prior to final selection.
Veterans, Native American, or Disability preference points will be added to the final score for those that are placed on the Civil Service Employment List. If you qualify for preference points as outlined in the Employment Profile, you must provide a copy to the HR facilitator prior to your Oral Board interview. The DD214 must be a copy that indicates characterization of service.
If you are in need of Americans with Disabilities Act-related accommodation during the assessment process, please email email@example.com at least 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
Communications throughout this process will be sent via email exclusively so please ensure your browser accepts emails from firstname.lastname@example.org and check your email account regularly. Failure to respond or follow instructions will result in disqualification.
Candidates selected to support Public Safety related systems will be required to pass a criminal background check and fingerprint reference check prior to an offer of employment. Employment offers are contingent upon successfully passing any of the above requirements. A valid Arizona Driver's license is also a requirement while holding this position.
Pre-employment Medical Testing Requirements
To ensure accurate payroll information for tax purposes, the successful candidate will need to provide their original Social Security Card or original letter from the Social Security Administration with their social security number prior to beginning work with the City of Tucson.
The City of Tucson hires lawful workers only - US citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization - without discrimination. Federal immigration laws require all employers to verify both the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. In its efforts to meet the law's requirements, the City of Tucson participates in the E-Verify program established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to aid employers in verifying the eligibility of workers.
Retired City of Tucson employees receiving benefits from the Tucson Supplemental Retirement System who are considering reemployment with the City should be aware that pursuant to Section 22-37(g) of the Tucson City Code, retirement benefits shall be suspended during the period of reemployment with the City of Tucson unless you have been separated at least twelve consecutive months before returning to work AND you return to a non-permanent employment classification. Creditable service does not accrue during any reemployment period.