The City of Tucson Information Technology
Department (ITD) is hiring for an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Manager. The
City of Tucson has recently implemented Workday for Human Capital and Financial
Management and is looking to fill the role of ERP Manager in the support of the
Workday ERP system. The ITD provides centralized support for all departments
within the City organization as well as an ownership role in the governance and
solution implementation of enterprise-wide technologies, including Workday. The
ERP Manager position is ideally suited for a dynamic team-player with strong
technical and communication skills that is willing to make a difference.
candidate will have a strong technical foundation and demonstrable experience
in an information technology management role,
preferably in a government setting.
The ERP Manager will have an executive
presence; strong leadership and communication
skills (particularly the ability to translate technology issues to
various audiences of non-experts); and the ability to build effective, collaborative
This person should
have a commitment to continuous learning through continued
industry training. The City is looking for
technology partner who can ensure all of the ERP related needs for the City are understood, anticipated, and supported in a timely
and cost-effective manner.
The key skills
the City is looking for are: active
listening; critical thinking; program management; strategic planning; and technical/business background in ERP solutions and related business
- Medical: Choice between a high deductible plan (HSA or HRA), or Network plan.
- Dental: Choice between a national dental PPO and a local dental HMO.
- Vision: Coverage for annual eye exam and glasses or contacts, plus LASIK.
- Life: City-paid coverage for you & dependents, plus option to buy more.
- Long-Term Disability: Income replacement of up to 60% of your base salary in the event of a qualifying disability.
- Employee Assistance Program: Enhance your wellbeing when life doesn’t go as planned.
- Flexible Spending: Pay for qualified health and dependent care expenses using pretax dollars.
- Colonial Voluntary Benefits: Financial help in the event of cancer, hospitalization, accident, more.
Your Security and Future
- Pension: Generous pension plans that help both civilian and public safety employees retire more comfortably.
- Deferred Compensation: Save more toward a comfortable retirement with a 457(b) plan.
- Training & Tuition Assistance: Pursue your dream through internal training or financial help toward a degree.
- Education Assistance, Reimbursement, and Qualified Loan Repayment Assistance Program: Get assistance paying off your student loan debt.
- Back-Up Care: Care for your loved ones when your regular care is unavailable.
Your Peace of Mind
- Paid Parental Leave: Six (6) weeks paid leave when you welcome a child, plus other generous leave policies for FML, Medical and USERRA.
- Paid Time Away: New hires enjoy 37 days of paid time off in the first year, with time increasing steadily thereafter (In year one: 13 accrued days of vacation, 13 accrued days of sick leave, and 11 paid holidays).
- Employee Discounts: Generous discounts, ranging from car rentals to computers, gifts to groceries, electronics to entertainment.
- Social Connectedness: Forge connections with the community we serve through paid volunteerism and payroll-deducted charitable giving.
The Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Manager is the individual accountable for the proper configuration, integration, management, and evolution of the ERP system for the City of Tucson. This is a hands-on product owner position that will be technically proficient in the system (currently Workday) and its use for city operations. This position directs work for an ERP support team, and will serve as solution owner, technical consultant, and partner to primary business owners for their respective ERP functional areas.
The ERP Manager will guide and oversee the solution’s capability roadmap, provide support and guidance for daily operational changes as needs evolve, help manage user department participation across all levels of the organization (department administrators, project managers, subject matter experts, superusers, etc.) and will coordinate the evolution and change management for the enduring use and value of the City’s ERP system. Technical challenges, workflow change analysis, or compliance related changes may also be escalated to the ERP Manager for further action and resolution. The ERP Manager will participate in the evaluation and management of system upgrades and any other major developments essential for business operations in relation to the system.
This position will be accountable to manage the vendor relationship, third party agreements and partnerships for ERP integration, manage user department participation, present reports to the ERP governance board and coordinate the change management processes required for the support of the City’s ERP system.
This ERP Manager will also serve as the project manager for system upgrades and any other major developments essential for business operations in relation to the system.
Performs the following functions with regular use of independent judgment:
- Ensures that the ERP systems meet the City’s business requirements and goals, works with assigned department personnel to resolve system issues.
- Provides regular status updates to the ERP governance board, including making recommendations for upgrades, new modules, reports, etc.
- Develops and coordinates the implementation of business practices that support an efficient workflow, troubleshooting and overall efficient use of the ERP system.
- Assists with contract negotiations for ERP and service providers.
- Administers strategies and programs that support the use, development, maintenance and function of the City’s ERP system.
- Analyzes and evaluates the City’s need for new technologies and develops and implements strategies to meet those needs in relation to the ERP system.
- Organizes and directs daily operations of the ERP Support Team by performing administrative duties, overseeing programs, projects and personnel from user departments.
- Additionally, this position manages the technical growth of the ERP support team members and ensures primary and secondary support for all major modules of ERP system.
- Oversees the planning, implementation, direction and management of all ERP functions and resources to achieve the strategic objectives of the City in an efficient and effective manner.
- Manages service levels with the City’s ERP vendor for continuous support.
- Leads the evaluation, installation, configuration and deployment of post-implementation upgrades to existing ERP applications.
- Ensures that ongoing ERP updates and system roadmaps align with enterprise infrastructure lifecycle planning and that the technology is funded and in place to support the systems.
- Serves as a liaison with technical staff to assist with design specs, program logic and data conversions where needed. Coordinates feasibility studies for new ERP products and advises the ERP governance board based on findings.
- Ensures that ERP integration into City systems meets functional requirements, system compliance.
- License compliance and interface specifications.
- May supervise or direct work for group comprised of technical and non-technical personnel.
Minimum Education Level & Type: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experience Qualifications: At least five years in ERP systems administration, project implementation, project management or other related experience.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the essential functions of this position may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science Business Administration, or Project Management
- Master’s degree in Information Technology, Management Information Systems, Computer Science Business Administration, or Project Management
- Hands-on experience with Workday ERP configuration, reporting, business processes, security and complex integrations
- Proficiency with Workday to actively participate in process improvement development and determine areas for automation.
- Practiced in core Agile principles of collaboration, prioritization, team accountability and visibility. Able to work collaboratively with project management to improve delivery and outcomes.
- Strong PM experience including project planning and execution, issue and risk management, stakeholder management and developing and delivering effective communication.
- Ability to serve as a liaison between business teams and technical teams to ensure alignment on goals, project priorities and delivery dates.
As part of the online application process all applicants are required to upload a résumé, cover letter, and six work-related
references (two supervisors, two direct reports, and two colleagues) as a
single PDF document. Work-related
references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment
process. Résumés should reflect the years and months of positions held, as well
as the size of staff and budgets you have managed.
Please ensure your application contains the required materials prior to submission.
who meet the minimum qualifications will proceed to the resume review
process, which is scheduled for October 31 , 2023. During this review,
applications will be evaluated based on a pass/fail criteria. Those who pass
the review will then be invited to a phone screen as the next step. Following
the phone screen, successful applicants will have the opportunity to
participate in oral board interviews.
Virtual Oral Boards will be held the week of November 21, 2023, via Microsoft Teams
Upon completion of all examination processes, the highest scoring applicants will be placed on the Civil Service Employment List. An applicant’s ranking on the Civil Service Employment List will be based on their final score which will be calculated as:
- 20% of the rating for Phone screening
- 80% rating for the Oral Board Interview
This recruitment will establish a civil service list that may be utilized to fill vacancies occurring in this classification within the next 6 months. Post list hiring interviews may be conducted prior to final selection.
Veterans, Native American, or Disability preference points will be added to the final score for those that are placed on the Civil Service Employment List. If you qualify for preference points as outlined in the Employment Profile, you must present your documentation at the time of your interview. The DD 214 must be a copy that indicates characterization of service.
If you are in need of Americans with Disabilities Act-related accommodation during the testing process, please email Ankita Bhargava at email@example.com at least 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
Communication during this process will be sent via email to the email address on file, so please ensure your browser accepts emails from firstname.lastname@example.org and check your email account regularly; this may include your junk box/spam filter. Failure to respond or follow instructions may result in disqualification.
Pre-employment Medical Testing Requirements
To ensure accurate payroll information for tax purposes, the successful candidate will need to provide their original Social Security Card or original letter from the Social Security Administration with their social security number prior to beginning work with the City of Tucson.
The City of Tucson hires lawful workers only - US citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization - without discrimination. Federal immigration laws require all employers to verify both the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. In its efforts to meet the law's requirements, the City of Tucson participates in the E-Verify program established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to aid employers in verifying the eligibility of workers.
Retired City of Tucson employees receiving benefits from the Tucson Supplemental Retirement System who are considering reemployment with the City should be aware that pursuant to Section 22-37(g) of the Tucson City Code, retirement benefits shall be suspended during the period of reemployment with the City of Tucson unless you have been separated at least twelve consecutive months before returning to work AND you return to a non-permanent employment classification. Creditable service does not accrue during any reemployment period.