Tucson Water is recognized internationally as a leader in water conservation, sustainability, and service. Our employees are proud stewards of our community's most precious natural resource, working to embody the utility's motto of "Pride in Service."
Tucson Water is seeking three Water Services
Supervisor candidates who are, active listeners, accomplished leaders, and
customer service-oriented professionals to join the Customer Services Division
in the following areas:
- New Services (1)
- Metering Services (2)
The New Services section is seeking an
experienced professional to supervise the New Services Unit. New Services
maintains a public counter which accepts and processes applications and
payments directly from customers for many types of services, including new
meter and full-service installations, fire services, fire hydrants, small main
extensions, construction meters, and other miscellaneous services.
The Metering Services section is seeking an
experienced professional to supervise a staff of Administrative Assistants
responsible for processing meter changes in the utility billing system, ensures
metering accuracy of the billing system and meter reading system, prepares
budget forecasts, and monitors expenditures.
The Water Services Supervisor will organize,
monitor, and supervise as well as coordinate work directly with other sections
and divisions of the department, to ensure services are provided in an
accurate, efficient, and timely manner.
The City of Tucson offers a wide range of generous benefits for eligible employees. Some of those benefits include:
- Medical: Choice between a high deductible plan (HSA or HRA), or Network plan
- Dental: Choice between a national dental PPO and a local dental HMO
- Vision: Coverage for annual eye exam and glasses or contacts, plus LASIK
- Life: City-paid coverage for you & dependents, plus option to buy more
- Long-Term Disability: Income replacement of up to 60% of your base salary in the event of a qualifying disability
- Employee Assistance Program: Enhance your wellbeing when life doesn’t go as planned
- Flexible Spending: Pay for qualified health and dependent care expenses using pretax dollars
- Colonial Voluntary Benefits: Financial help in the event of cancer, hospitalization, accident, and more
Your Security and Future
- Pension: Generous pension plans that help both civilian and public safety employees retire more comfortably
- Deferred Compensation: Save more toward a comfortable retirement with a 457(b) plan
- Training & Tuition Assistance: Pursue your dream through internal training or financial help toward a degree
- Back-Up Care: Care for your loved ones when your regular care is unavailable
Your Peace of Mind
- Paid Parental Leave: Six (6) weeks paid leave when you welcome a child, plus other generous leave policies for FML, Medical and USERRA
- Paid Time Away: New hires enjoy 37 days of paid time off in the first year, with time increasing steadily thereafter (In year one: 13 accrued days of vacation, 13 accrued days of sick leave, and 11 paid holidays)
- Employee Discounts: Generous discounts, ranging from car rentals to computers, gifts to groceries, electronics to entertainment
- Social Connectedness: Forge connections with the community we serve through paid volunteerism and payroll-deducted charitable giving
Supervises personnel in
water audits, new services, installation, repair, and servicing of water meters
and related systems, and the collection of water samples. Coordinates and
monitors the safety and efficiency of service routes. Serves as a liaison
between departments and contractors.
Essential duties include but are not limited to:
- Supervises, provides leadership and guidance to the equivalent of two or
more full-time employees and all assigned work in a unit ensuring timely and
quality activities to respond to the needs of the City, community, department,
- Provides external and internal customer service for new service
installations; creates work requests for service installations and establishes
new accounts in the billing system; works directly with customers, consultants,
contractors, and internal staff; should have some familiarity with Job Order
Contracts utilized within Tucson Water.
- Responds to inquiries regarding procedural and financial requirements
for new service or water infrastructure upgrades from the public, the City
Manager’s Office, other departments both within and external to the City, and constituent issues from the
individual Mayor and Council Offices.
- Assists with the implementation, evaluation, and interpretation of
department policies, business practices, projects, and procedures.
- Maintains records of work performed and prepares activity reports for
- Develops support policy
and procedures related to New Services and implements changes to improve
customer service and workflow management
- Develops and manages the
utility billing schedule that affects over 240,000 accounts and ensures the
daily billing upload process is properly set up and implemented.
- Coordinates the meter
reading upload from FCS into the billing system; input, monitor and ensure the
meter reading schedule is maintained.
- Adjust route sizes in
the billing system by configuring the routes to maximize efficiency by creating
new routes and/or condensing multiple routes.
- Review and research
stuck meter accounts; create work order for field staff to test meters in the
field; generate work order reports to improve field staff efficiency.
- Correct account issues
in the billing system, such as truncation issues, analytical report review,
billing system research and work order investigation.
- Prepares budget
forecasts, assists in the development and implementation of budgets, monitors
project budgets, authorized expenditures and budget allocations reviews budget
documents and prepares reports and communications.
Minimum Education Level & Type: 6 months post High School
Minimum Experience Qualifications: At least 4 years experience in water system installation, repair, meter reading, dispatch, or customer service operations.
Valid and Unrestricted Class D - Driver's License
An equivalent combination of
education, training, and experience, which provides the required knowledge,
skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position may be
Special Job Requirements
Positions in Water Quality require an Arizona Department of Environmental Quality Water Distribution Certification Grade 1 or Water Treatment Certificate Grade 1.
Positions in Water Customer Service Meter Reading and Service require a Backflow Certification at the time of application.
The ideal candidates will possess all of the above as well as the following:
administrative, or technical training post high school in Water Quality,
Instrumentation, Business Administration, or related field
- Advanced skill in the
use of Customer Billing Systems
- Previous supervisory
experience in customer service or utility billing
- Experience with utility
billing involving services and rates
- Intermediate knowledge
of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge and experience
with FCS meter reading systems
- Experience with the
principals and practices of Automated Meter Reading (AMR)
* * You are encouraged to print this bulletin because it contains important dates and information that will not be available online once this position closes.* *
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated on the education and work experience in their employment profile and the responses to their supplemental questions. The highest scoring applicants will then be invited to participate in an Oral Board interview.
- In-Person Oral Board Interviews will be held Janaury 11, 2023
Upon completion of all examination processes, the highest scoring applicants will be placed on an Eligibility List. An applicant's ranking on the list will be based on their final score which will be calculated as:
- 10% of your education and work experience
- 90% of your oral board interview
This recruitment will establish a civil service list that may be utilized to fill vacancies occurring at Tucson Water within the next 6 months. Post list hiring interviews may be conducted prior to final selections.
Veterans, Native American, or Disability preference points will be added to the final score for those that are placed on the Civil Service Employment List. If you qualify for preference points as outlined in the Employment Profile, you must upload your documentation as part of the application process or email it to Roxie.Escarcega@tucsonaz.gov. The DD 214 must be a copy that indicates characterization of service.
If you are in need of Americans with Disabilities Act-related accommodation during the testing process, please contact Roxie. Escarcega@tucsonaz.gov. at least 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
Communication during this process will be sent via email to the email address on file, so please ensure your browser accepts emails from email@example.com and check your email account regularly; this may include your junk box/spam filter. Failure to respond or follow instructions may result in disqualification.
Pre-employment Medical Testing Requirements