The City of Tucson Information Technology Department (ITD)
provides support services for all departments within the City, including
citizen services, public safety, public works, back-office business
applications, project management, analytics & GIS, and web applications.
The diversity of City business functions and supporting technologies makes for
a dynamic work environment that is both challenging and rewarding.
The ITD is seeking an IT Manager to join our Business
Management Division and lead the Web and Citizen Applications (WACA) team. The
IT Manager will oversee the migration of legacy applications, building of new
web applications, and ongoing maintenance of more than 50 web properties
including web sites, applications, and utilities. The IT Manager will guide
employees in developing best practices and ensure that industry standard
quality and security procedures are followed. They will manage smaller projects
and collaborate with the IT Project Management Office in the management of
larger team projects. The IT manager will work directly with customers to
determine and clarify requirements and needs for potential and current
projects. They will provide support and advocate for employees during projects
and in day-to-day activities such as service requests, troubleshooting, and
general customer service.
The Web and Citizen Applications team provides web and web
application support and services to the City. These service-oriented services
are in support ITD’s mission and our client stakeholders.
- Manage information technology personnel and
- Direct the development and maintenance of
information technology programs.
- Bring a culture of accountability that combines
SLAs and performance metrics to facilitate continuous process improvement and
excellent customer service.
- Have a “sleeves up” approach to direct website
and web application support responsibilities including managing and working
ticket queues, as well as a high-level ownership of the delivery and refinement
of the overall customer support experience in the enterprise environment.
- Serve as primary point of escalation for all web
and web application support needs, as well as facilitate cross functional
support with other internal ITD and City teams.
- Refine and write standard operating procedures
and performance metrics to support best practice and scalability of web and
citizen application operations to manage scope, budget and risks in ensuring
the WACA team is aligned with ITD and City strategic goals.
- Drive efficiencies in policies, processes,
reporting, and practices around web and web application development, support
- Provide leadership in the identification and
assessment of website and web application needs throughout the City.
- Develop, mentor and coach WACA staff in building
and maintaining relevant technical skills while working to identify and create
career growth opportunities.
- Lead a team of 1 Web Design Analyst and 3 Web
- Exercises regular independent judgment while performing the following:
- Regularly directs or supervises the work of at least two fulltime employees at the supervisor level in the section. Coordinates assigned supervisory personnel and their projects ensuring timely and quality activities for the benefit of the section, division, department, City and the community.
- Oversees the planning, implementation, direction and management of all functions and resources of the section to achieve the strategic objectives of the department and the City in an efficient and effective manner.
- Assists with the implementation and evaluation of department policies, programs, projects and procedures. Assists with implementing the department vision through section activities and leads the section to maximum employee productivity and morale through hiring, disciplining, evaluating employee performance, investigating and resolving grievances and other coordinating human resources actions.
- Develops and administers the section budget with staff assistance. Analyzes organization and community needs, analyzes trends, reviews statistics and opportunities communicates to the department leadership of impending developments. Develops strategic partnerships and contacts with community representatives, external agencies, and other organizations to develop a sense of relevant issues facing our community and to respond as a representative of the City.
- Implements the values of the organization through example and accountabilities.
- Ensures that section operations conform with local, state, and federal governmental regulations and other applicable rules and requirements.
- Facilitates solutions to problems facing the department. Maintains technical or professional knowledge through such means as attending seminars, reviewing professional publications, taking classes and participating in developmental activities.
- Provides advice and direction to technical and professional employees on matters pertaining to systems development, quality assurance, computing and telecommunications equipment requirements and staffing.
- Leads the development and continuing refinement of the City's critical systems-related programs.
- Develops the migration and integration of the City's separate systems into an enterprise-wide architecture.
- Resolves customer service issues by meeting with customers, researching service problems, identifying problems and providing solutions.
- Manages and directs projects by developing timelines and project parameters, reviewing and approving plans and documents, devising solutions to problems, ensuring projects are completed effectively and efficiently, reviewing and approving agreements, authorizing payments, conducting and attending meetings and meeting with associated parties.
- Collaborates with other teams including systems
administrators, database administrators, applications teams, and others.
- Performs administrative duties by preparing and reviewing reports and correspondence, reviewing and developing policies and procedures, providing advice, researching and analyzing information
- Performs market research, vendor research and
consultation, contract review and modification, and maintains records of
contracts and agreements related to the team.
- Provides consultation, specifications, and
requirements for ongoing, potential, and completed projects.
Minimum Education Level & Type: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experience Qualifications: At least 5 years of experience in information technology. At least 3 of required 5 years in a Lead or Supervisory capacity in a related functional area.
"Lead" is defined as leading at least one (1) full-time FTE in a work unit. It does not include leading projects, departments, contractors, interns, etc.
"Supervisory" is defined as having supervised at least one (1) full-time FTE.
As part of the online application process all applicants are required to submit a Chronological Resume. Applications received without a resume will be considered incomplete.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated on the education and work experience in their employment profile and their responses to their supplemental questions. The highest scoring applicants will then be invited to an Oral Board interview.
- Virtual Oral Board Interviews will be held on November 1, 2022
Upon completion of all examination processes, the highest scoring applicants will be placed on the Civil Service Employment List. An applicant's ranking on the Civil Service list will be based on their final score which will be calculated as:
- 20% of your rating for education and work experience
- 80% of your rating for oral board interview
This recruitment will establish a civil service list that will be utilized to fill vacancies occurring within the next 6 months.
Veterans, Native American, or Disability preference points will be added to the final score for those that are placed on the Civil Service Employment List. If you qualify for preference points as outlined in the Employment Profile, you must present your documentation at the time of your Oral Board interview. The DD 214 must be a copy that indicated characterization of service.
If you are in need of Americans with Disabilities Act-related accommodation during the testing process, please email Erin Gallego at Erin.Gallego@tucsonaz.gov at least 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
You are encouraged to print this bulletin because it contains important dates and information that will not be available online once this position closes. Communications throughout this process will be sent via email exclusively so please ensure your browser accepts emails from email@example.com and check your email account regularly; this may include your junk box/spam filter. Failure to respond or follow instructions will result in disqualification.
Pre-employment Medical Testing Requirements
To ensure accurate payroll information for tax purposes, the successful candidate will need to provide their original Social Security Card or original letter from the Social Security Administration with their social security number prior to beginning work with the City of Tucson.
The City of Tucson hires lawful workers only - US citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization - without discrimination. Federal immigration laws require all employers to verify both the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. In its efforts to meet the law's requirements, the City of Tucson participates in the E-Verify program established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to aid employers in verifying the eligibility of workers.
Retired City of Tucson employees receiving benefits from the Tucson Supplemental Retirement System who are considering reemployment with the City should be aware that pursuant to Section 22-37(g) of the Tucson City Code, retirement benefits shall be suspended during the period of reemployment with the City of Tucson unless you have been separated at least twelve consecutive months before returning to work AND you return to a non-permanent employment classification. Creditable service does not accrue during any reemployment period.