The City of Tucson’s Planning & Development Services Department is seeking a qualified Business Analyst to provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
Tucson has a rich cultural heritage and is known for its lively arts scene, unsurpassed natural beauty, and outdoor lifestyle. Tucson's culture centers around a unique blend of Native American, Spanish, Mexican and Anglo-American influences. The city is situated in the Sonoran Desert and is surrounded by five mountain ranges. Blessed with the desert natural beauty and an unsurpassed climate of 360 sunny days a year, Tucsonans embrace a rare lifestyle and are committed to preserving that quality of life.
The city is home to the University of Arizona and Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. Tucson is the seat of Pima County and has a Council-Manager form of government. The Tucson metropolitan area supports almost a million residents. As metropolitan Tucson continues to grow, the challenge of meeting resident expectations also increases.
The City of Tucson is committed to providing quality municipal services which promote a healthy community, offer opportunities for participation and leisure, and enable citizens to prosper at work and at home.
• Medical: Choice between a high deductible plan (HSA or HRA), or Network plan.
• Dental: Choice between a national dental PPO and a local dental HMO.
• Vision: Coverage for annual eye exam and glasses or contacts, plus LASIK.
• Life: City-paid coverage for you & dependents, plus option to buy more.
• Long-Term Disability: Income replacement of up to 60% of your base salary in the event of a qualifying disability.
• Employee Assistance Program: Enhance your wellbeing when life doesn’t go as planned.
• Flexible Spending: Pay for qualified health and dependent care expenses using pretax dollars.
• Colonial Voluntary Benefits: Financial help in the event of cancer, hospitalization, accident, more.
Your Security and Future
• Pension: Generous pension plans that help both civilian and public safety employees retire more comfortably.
• Deferred Compensation: Save more toward a comfortable retirement with a 457(b) plan.
• Training & Tuition Assistance: Pursue your dream through internal training or financial help toward a degree.
• Education Assistance, Reimbursement, and Qualified Loan Repayment Assistance Program: Get assistance paying off your student loan debt.
• Back-Up Care: Care for your loved ones when your regular care is unavailable.
Your Peace of Mind
• Paid Parental Leave: Six (6) weeks paid leave when you welcome a child, plus other generous leave policies for FML, Medical and USERRA.
• Paid Time Away: New hires enjoy 37 days of paid time off in the first year, with time increasing steadily thereafter (In year one: 13 accrued days of vacation, 13 accrued days of sick leave, and 11 paid holidays).
• Employee Discounts: Generous discounts, ranging from car rentals to computers, gifts to groceries, electronics to entertainment.
• Social Connectedness: Forge connections with the community we serve through paid volunteerism and payroll-deducted charitable giving.
For a full description of benefits offered to eligible employees, or to inquire further about the City of Tucson's benefit options, please visit https://www.tucsonaz.gov/hr/employee-benefit-snapshot
The primary function of this role will be managing technology systems for enterprise-level permitting and licensing software powered by EnerGov. This is critical in supporting the Planning and Development Services Department’s mission to serve the Tucson community by evaluating technologies and implementing innovative solutions.
Analyzes departmental business issues and data challenges, elicits requirements from management, staff, and internal customers to develop functional and system configuration specifications, and utilizes technological solutions to achieve efficient and cost-effective results.
Creates and maintains a variety of system reports, data queries, scripts, workflow, and automated tasks using structured query language and various database management tools.
Advises on system capability, compiles data, and implements data driven decisions and strategies for management.
Serves as liaison with Information Technology, departmental staff, and vendors to evaluate, test and support new functionality, developments, and enhancements with the ERP modules including patches and upgrades.
Monitors and approves system security, updates, and maintains system security records and permissions, and performs security reviews and audits.
Maintains documentation of system updates and training.
Develops and provides user training as required. May conduct presentations, classroom or individualized training.
Minimum Education Level & Type: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experience Qualifications: At least 2 years of experience involving systems administration, business analysis, database administration, or enterprise resource planning systems.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of this position may be considered.
In addition to the Minimum Qualifications listed above, the ideal candidate will also have demonstrated experience
- configuring Tyler Technologies Enterprise Permitting and Licensing Software
powered by EnerGov
- with project
management as it relates to enterprise level IT systems
with system administration
- with planning
and permitting processes
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated on the education and work experience in their employment profile and the responses to their supplemental questions. The highest scoring applicants will then be invited to participate in virtual Oral Board Interviews.
- Oral Board Interviews will be held: August 25, 2022.
*It is important to note
that the City of Tucson uses Microsoft Teams for its virtual interviews. Please
ensure that you have access to this software application.
Upon completion of all examination processes, the highest scoring applicants will be placed on the Civil Service Employment List. An applicant's ranking on the Civil Service list will be based on their final score which will be calculated as follows:
This recruitment will establish a civil service list that will be utilized to fill vacancies occurring within the next 6 months.
- 20% of your rating for education and work experience
- 80% of your oral board interview
Veterans, Native American, or Disability preference points will be added to the final score for those that are placed on the Civil Service Employment List. If you qualify for preference points as outlined in the Employment Profile, you must email your documentation to
Pilar.Jauregui@tucsonaz.gov The DD 214 must be a copy that indicates characterization of service.
If you are in need of Americans with Disabilities Act-related accommodation during the testing process, please email Pilar.Jauregui@tucsonaz.gov at least 48 hours prior to the evaluation.
Communication during this
process will be sent via email to the email address on file, so please ensure
your browser accepts emails from firstname.lastname@example.org and
check your email account regularly; this may include your junk box/spam
filter. Failure to respond or follow instructions may result in
Pre-employment Medical Testing Requirements
City of Tucson values the safety of our employees, our residents, our
community, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected
for this job, you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when
vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious
beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you
are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you
must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either
provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption
before working with the City of Tucson.**
To ensure accurate payroll information for tax purposes, the successful candidate will need to provide their original Social Security Card or original letter from the Social Security Administration with their social security number prior to beginning work with the City of Tucson.
The City of Tucson hires lawful workers only - US citizens or nationals and non-citizens with valid work authorization - without discrimination. Federal immigration laws require all employers to verify both the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. In its efforts to meet the law's requirements, the City of Tucson participates in the E-Verify program established by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) to aid employers in verifying the eligibility of workers.
Retired City of Tucson employees receiving benefits from the Tucson Supplemental Retirement System who are considering reemployment with the City should be aware that pursuant to Section 22-37(g) of the Tucson City Code, retirement benefits shall be suspended during the period of reemployment with the City of Tucson unless you have been separated at least twelve consecutive months before returning to work AND you return to a non-permanent employment classification. Creditable service does not accrue during any reemployment period.