Tucson has been continuously inhabited for over 12,000 years. It celebrates a diversity of cultures, architecture, and peoples. Yet, it is one of the "Mega-Trend" cities of the 21st Century: The Optics Valley, premier health services center of the Southwest, the astronomy center of the world, home of a premier research institution - University of Arizona, and a tourism destination.
Tucson's rich cultural heritage centers around a unique blend of Native American, Spanish, Mexican and Anglo-American influences. These can be seen in the Hispanic barrios, historical and contemporary American architecture, and historic Native American remnants.
Tucson was once referred to as a "mini-mecca for the arts” by The Wall Street Journal and was ranked #20 of the Top 25 Arts Destinations (big-cities category) by American Style Magazine. Tucson is one of a select few cities of its size that boasts its own ballet company, professional theater, symphony, and opera company. Home to 215 art groups, and more than 35 art galleries in the downtown area alone, Tucson ranks as one of the best places in the state to view works by the masters and up-and-coming artists. Tucson’s natural history and cultural heritage are also on display in the over 30 regional museums, 12 of which are located on the route of the upcoming Modern Streetcar.
Tucson is situated in the Sonoran Desert and is surrounded by five mountain ranges. A trip from the 2,389-foot valley floor to the 9,157-foot Mt. Lemmon summit (home to the southernmost ski area in the continental United States) traverses seven of the world's nine life zones. It's like driving from Mexico to Canada. Blessed with the natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert and an unsurpassed climate of 360 sunny days a year, Tucsonans embrace a rare lifestyle and are committed to preserving that quality of life.
Tucson is the perfect place for the outdoor enthusiast. With more than 800 miles of bike paths, Tucson has been ranked by Bicycling magazine as one of the top cycling cities in the U.S. for several years running and is home to internationally known bicycling events such as El Tour de Tucson. Golf is another popular activity with dozens of regional golf courses, including five municipally owned courses.
The city is home to the University of Arizona and Davis-Monthan Air Force Base. The City's industries include electronics and missile production. Tucson is the seat of Pima County and has a Council-Manager form of government. The Tucson metropolitan area supports over 750,000 residents. As metropolitan Tucson continues to grow by nearly 2,000 new residents each month, the challenge of meeting citizen expectations also increases.
The City of Tucson is committed to providing quality municipal services which promote a healthy community, offer opportunities for participation and leisure, and enable citizens to prosper at work and at home.
The City of Tucson offers a wide range of generous benefits for eligible employees. Some of those benefits include: · Medical: Choice between a high deductible plan (HSA or HRA), or Network plan.
· Dental: Choice between a national dental PPO and a local dental HMO.
· Vision: Coverage for annual eye exam and glasses or contacts, plus LASIK.
· Life: City-paid coverage for you & dependents, plus option to buy more.
· Long-Term Disability: Income replacement of up to 60% of your base salary in the event of a qualifying disability. · Employee Assistance Program: Enhance your wellbeing when life doesn’t go as planned.
· Flexible Spending: Pay for qualified health and dependent care expenses using pretax dollars.
· Colonial Voluntary Benefits: Financial help in the event of cancer, hospitalization, accident, more.
Your Security and Future
· Pension: Generous pension plans that help employees retire more comfortably.
· Deferred Compensation: Save more toward a comfortable retirement with a 457(b) plan.
· Training & Tuition Assistance: Pursue your dream through internal training or financial help toward a degree.
· Back-Up Care: Care for your loved ones when your regular care is unavailable.
Your Peace of Mind
· Paid Parental Leave: Six (6) weeks paid leave when you welcome a child, plus other generous leave policies for FML, Medical and USERRA.
· Paid Time Away: New hires enjoy 37 days of paid time off in the first year, with time increasing steadily thereafter (In year one: 13 accrued days of vacation, 13 accrued days of sick leave, and 11 paid holidays).
· Employee Discounts: Generous discounts, ranging from car rentals to computers, gifts to groceries, electronics to entertainment.
· Social Connectedness: Forge connections with the community we serve through paid volunteerism and payroll-deducted charitable giving.
For a full description of benefits offered to eligible employees, or to inquire further about the City of Tucson's benefits options, please visit: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/hr/employee-benefit-snapshot