An employee in this class is responsible for technical analysis work with an emphasis on internetworks and telecommunications. Under general direction, employees are required to exercise extensive initiative and independent judgment in selection of work methods and formulation of recommendations to meet program needs, objectives, and goals.
Nature Of Work
Employees coordinate and monitor the work of other team members in the completion of specified assignments. Tasks require that the employees consult with user departmental personnel, other departmental technical staff, and other network team members in order to resolve technical issues. Under general supervision, employees are expected to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in selecting work methods and performing assigned tasks. Employees in this class are subject to on-call status on a rotating schedule to provide 7 day/24 hour per day service and, at times, are required to work unusual hours to accommodate installation, maintenance and/or upgrading of city networks. Work is reviewed while in progress and upon completion through discussions and reports submitted.Assist management to ensure departmental objectives are met, programs are maintained, participate in the development and maintenance of policies and procedures to ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations and standards.
Examples of Duties
- Utilize remote monitoring tools, protocol analyzers and other network monitoring tools to accurately diagnose network problems or network performance degradation, and takes appropriate corrective actions
- Research and advise development teams of potential issues. Provide assistance with modeling and conduct testing of applications using common testing tools.
- Research, evaluate and report on new technology trends as appropriate to the team. Make recommendations to the team on desirable and beneficial additions and developments. Work with other departments and teams to advise on new and existing technology.
- Researches, resolves, and responds to complex questions received via telephone calls, callbacks, email, through help desk software or escalations.
- Monitors the status of open calls and follow up with customers to ensure service goals are achieved.
- Coordinate with other T&I Teams and vendors/contractors in order to complete your job assignments.
- Provide written documentation; including reports and technical drawings.
- Flexible work hours as needed to support the City’s after hours data network needs.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of: Networking routing protocols including but not limited to EIGRP, OSPF and BGP, monitoring tools, and services; problem management processes; OSI layers 1, 2 and 3; network IP address standards as well as subnet masking; designing, configuring and troubleshooting Cisco switches and routers; ICMP, SNMP, Trace route and sniffer packet capturing processes; tunneling and encrypting technologies; Ethernet handshake protocols, including speed, duplex and Power Over Ethernet (PoE).
Skills in: Strong verbal and written communications skills including technical documentation; organizational skills, attention to detail, and the ability to efficiently handle several tasks simultaneously.
Ability to: Acquire knowledge of new technologies; design, implement and troubleshoot enterprise network infrastructure; work under pressure with changing priorities in a complex environment; working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential; express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and one (1) year of progressively responsible experience in computer programming and hardware and in telecommunications and analysis; or - Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate’s degree in computer science or a related field and three (3) year of progressively responsible experience in computer programming and hardware and in telecommunications and analysis.
Licenses or Certifications
Possession of a valid driver’s license required.
Certification in one of the following specialties preferred: Cisco CCNA, CCDA, CCNP or other Cisco certifications, CompTIA Network+ and other equivalent networking certification.
During periods when the Mayor issues an emergency declaration for the City of Tampa, all employees may be required to work in preparation, response or recovery activities related to the stated emergency.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application.