This position is responsible for systems analysis and design combined with either software application lifecycle management or database analysis and administration.
Nature Of Work
An employee in this class is responsible for performing a variety of technical systems administration, systems analysis, and programming tasks of more than average difficulty. Employees coordinate and monitor the work of technical project team members in the completion of specified assignments. This position requires that the employees consult and collaborate with end user personnel, functional information technology (IT) personnel, and project team members to resolve technical issues and to implement and administer commercial off the shelf software (COTS). This employee is accountable for technical and functional oversight of solutions. Employees are expected to exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in selecting work methods and performing assigned tasks. An employee in this class may be subject to on-call status on a rotating basis to provide 24-hour/7 day support. Work is reviewed while in progress and upon completion through discussions and reports submitted.
Examples of Duties
- Gathers and analyzes user/system/business requirements to prepare detailed request for change and project documents.
- Maintains and enhances configuration of COTS software.
- Prepares test plans for all phases of testing including unit, performance and user acceptance testing.
- Conducts necessary analysis to resolve production problems.
- Mentors team members to facilitate production support.
- Develop, implement, and maintain audit, security and regulatory compliance application or program requirements.
- Designs and develops data conversion processes using industry standard methodologies to extract, transform, and load data from source to target databases for use in reporting or conversions; prepares test data and verifies system test results; analyzes and resolves system problems; consults with users, project team members (both technical and functional) on questions or problems.
- Develops and maintains reports created against departmental databases using a variety of methods.
- Analyzes problems and implements solutions; consults with functional team members, users, and technical project team members on technical questions; coordinates, schedules, assigns, and monitors the work of technical project team members.
- Conducts cost/benefit analyses; conducts technical research and prepares and presents reports on findings; analyzes network equipment and software and makes recommendations; evaluates, acquires, and coordinates computer hardware upgrades/installations.
- Creates and maintains detailed documentation of systems for production support.
- Learns new skills and adopts new methodologies as required.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Knowledge of: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher; ESRI ArcGIS 10.6 or higher; Windows Server 2012 or higher; database clustering; database within VM; understanding of relational database design.
Ability to: Ability to implement/maintain/support internal databases and complex GIS database models; manage ArcGIS server environments; utilize spatial data analysis; support needs assessment/recommendations for database/GIS related requests; utilize SQL Server Spatial Geometry; perform ETL type functions using FME, Automate, SSIS; report creation with SSRS; perform database backups/maintenance across enterprise; perform production change control; troubleshoot database/server/storage issues.
Skills in: Customer focused work program, T-SQL, Python, Power Shell or other scripting language, TFS/Azure DevOps, MS-Access conversion to SQL, SSMS, SSRS, programming C# or VB.net a plus.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in computer programming, systems analysis and/or database administration; or Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate's degree in computer science or a related field and five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in computer programming, systems analysis and/or database administration.
During periods when the Mayor issues an emergency declaration for the City of Tampa, all employees may be required to work in preparation, response or recovery activities related to the stated emergency.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application.