This is responsible work providing tutorial services to middle school youth on a variety of subject material to improve the student’s academic capability.
Nature Of Work
Employees in this class are responsible for performing activities of average difficulty at a designated school or facility. Work requires performing tasks that include teaching, instructing and participating in learning activities for all student groups with varying backgrounds. The employee will assist the site supervisor in the delivery of services for an After-School All-Stars after-school and/or summer program, to ensure that educational, behavioral, and financial objectives of the program are met. Although employees work under general supervision, the exercise of some initiative and independent judgment is required. The majority of positions in this class are part-time and may require work during evening hours or weekends.
Examples of Duties
- Provide academic assistance to assigned tutees, either in a groups or individually.
- Supervise and/or teach tutoring and education sessions and/or enrichment activities.
- Assist in the design and implementation of academic lessons, individual youth education plans and program wide educational projects.
- Assist the Site Supervisor in the accurate and timely reporting of youth academic progress reports and academic statistical analysis.
- Assist in the coordination and supervision of activities and services offered at a program site.
- Maintain discipline at assigned site and confer with parents regarding curriculum and activities offered, participant progress and discipline problems.
- Assist the Site Supervisor in ensuring proper implementation of policy and procedures in the areas of operations and curriculum at program site.
- Assist the Site Supervisor in ensuring the safety and security of the program and facility.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledges, Skills & Abilities
Some knowledge of: techniques relating to a wide variety of teaching methods; basic records keeping.
Ability to: provide leadership in coordinating and conducting instructional activities; provide instruction to participants engaged in group or individual activities; maintain records and compile reports; establish and maintain relationships with parents, other employees, and the general public; perform activities requiring light to moderate physical exertion; operate a light motor vehicle if required.
Skill in: administering first aid and CPR.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree with one (1) year of teaching experience in an organized instructional capacity; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Licenses or Certifications
Possession of current acceptable teaching certification required.
Possession of First Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain within 6 months of employment.
Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license.
Evaluation of education and experience. Drug testing is included in all pre-employment processing.
HELPFUL HINTS FOR COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION: Please register before you begin the application process. This will enable you to view and re-use information from previously submitted applications to complete and submit any future applications. Please make certain your application is complete and the information you provide clearly demonstrates that you possess the minimum job qualifications as stated in the job announcement. Resumes can be submitted in support of an application, but not in lieu of an application. Resumes and copies of certifications or other required documents may be attached to your online application.