This is highly responsible work involving advanced technical and analytical skills, and specialized support of the division’s training activities. Bargaining unit position.
Nature Of Work
The employee in this class performs responsible work of more than average difficulty involving coordinating training activities for the Training and Development Division to include developing, publicizing, and maintaining a training library, serving as program facilitator when necessary and overseeing the administrative functions of the Tuition Reimbursement Program. Provides specialized computer services as it relates to the City’s Oracle Employee Development Portal (EDP) such as testing system operations, serving as tutor for EDP functions and designing associated job aids. Additional tasks include compiling historical and current training data in the legacy LMS system and current EDP, creating and updating training content on the division’s iNET web pages, overseeing the eLearning program, working with department supervisors and employees to ensure compliance with mandatory trainings, and overseeing timely integration of all inputs to the biweekly new employee Orientation program. The employee often works independently, makes decisions with minimal supervision and handles multiple tasks in a professional and courteous manner. Requires critical thinking skills on frequent basis. Work is reviewed through observation, conferences, training evaluations, reports submitted, and results obtained.
Examples of Duties
- Key contributor in analyzing, developing, and deploying enhancements to the EDP system; works closely with T&I lead analysts to identify and resolve program issues and test performance enhancements; serves as back-up for primary facilitator when necessary, serves as principal facilitator for EDP, Windows, Word, Excel and other technical trainings; contributes to development of new online learning topics using specialized content authoring software; monitors attendance and completion of mandatory trainings; develops job aids, organizes and coordinates training programs.
- Provides guidance in managing the utility Skills Matrix program in Oracle EDP and troubleshoots issues with T&I to resolve; uses strategic thinking to conceptualize solutions and design progressive steps to achieve results.
- Manages the Tuition Reimbursement Program and uses knowledge and judgment in forwarding for final approval/disapproval based on program criteria and policy; assists participants, often working closely with them through the life-cycle of application to reimbursement; monitors program budget for General, Police and Fire tuition accounts to ensure usage does not exceed bargaining unit contracted limits, and provides regular reports to management.
- Develops monitoring system to track attendance for mandatory trainings, and coordinates attendance through supervisors for non-compliance instances.
- Creates and updates content and resources on the unit’s iNet web pages; oversees the City’s third-party eLearning environment and troubleshoots remote user access problems.
- Serves as computer and equipment specialist and liaison with T&I; installs and troubleshoots hardware, software and peripheral equipment within T&I limits; trains unit staff on new processes and programs.
- Contributes to the modification and creation of forms, annual and semi-annual training reports and other metrics; participates in the development of user manuals, presentations, brochures and notices, etc.; prepares and prints documents, rosters, training kits and other material for use in training, and maintains administrative records.
- Acts as assistant to the Division Training Manager and ensures continuity of operations when staff are out of the office.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Considerable knowledge of:
effective training principles, techniques, and methods, working knowledge of learning management systems and other technical programs.
effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing; present data in tabular and graphical formats; coordinate and manage multiple projects simultaneously; establish and maintain effective working relationships with people at all levels in the organization. Translate technical knowledge into easy-to-follow training guides.
learning management systems and content server development desired; use of Windows, Microsoft Office, Access, and Oracle.
Graduation from an accredited college with an associate’s degree in business administration, project management, human resources or a related field and three (3) years of experience in coordinating and tracking training activities, presenting one-on-one training or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Considerable experience in advanced computer skills desired.
Licenses or Certifications
Possession of a valid State of Florida driver’s license.
Employees may be required to work rotating shifts, including
nights, weekends, holidays and overtime as needed. During periods when the
Mayor issues an emergency declaration for the City of Tampa, all employees
may be required to work in preparation, response or recovery activities
related to the stated emergency.