Hospital Telephone Operator I - Part-time
San Joaquin General Hospital
|Opening Date||9/26/2022 08:00:00 AM|
|Closing Date||10/7/2022 11:59:00 PM|
SJGH Hospital Communications operates on a 24/7 basis and the incumbent in this position will be required to work various shifts and will include working holidays.
Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a background investigation.
NOTE: All correspondences relating to this recruitment will be delivered via e-mail. The e-mail account used will be the one provided on your employment application during time of submittal. Please be sure to check your e-mail often for updates. If you do not have an e-mail account on file, Human Resources will send you correspondences via US Mail.
- Receives and places a variety of non-emergency incoming or outgoing phone calls using an electronic telephone console and/or other telephonic equipment; provides information to callers concerning clinic schedules, visiting hours, services of the various hospital departments/ambulatory areas, locations of facilities/services, and locations of patients or hospital personnel in accordance with hospital policy.
- Routes or transfers calls as requested; places phone calls for employees and patients; pages and locates physicians and other persons within the hospital buildings.
- Provides after hours call answering services for clinics and/or physicians as requested; receives and relays messages; refers or transfers callers to other staff or locations as appropriate.
- Receives notice of emergency hospital codes/alarms including, but not limited to fire alarms, cardiac or respiratory emergencies, various types of trauma, hazardous spills, child abduction, bomb threats, active shooter or hostage situations; follows established protocols; announces codes on the overhead paging system; identifies and dispatches on-call responders using phone, pager, radio, group text messaging or other communication tools; monitors code status, provides regular updates and coordinates communications between involved parties as required.
- Contacts and dispatches non-hospital providers to incidents as assigned, such as those requiring sexual assault, clergy, public health, behavioral health, environmental health or other staff support.
- Maintains and updates lists and databases of physician, nurse and other responder information; maintains changing rosters of on-call or on-duty personnel designated to respond to various emergency situations; uses rosters to locate and dispatch personnel as needed.
- Maintains accurate logs and records of assigned communications activities; summarizes and tabulates information as requested, including information of a moderately technical, specialized or sensitive nature; codes, files and retrieves documents and records using standard alphabetical, numerical, coded and computerized filing systems; may type letters, reports or other items; may perform other general clerical duties.
- Maintains data pertaining to the arrival of trauma patients to the Emergency Room, including the estimated time between first notification and arrival.
- Monitors the functionality of telephone operations equipment and promptly reports problems to a supervisor or other staff as required.
Experience: One year of general clerical, secretarial, office technical or office communications work. Experience operating a multi-line telephone system is desirable. Experience in a health care environment is desirable.
Substitutions: a) One year of business training in an approved vocational training program may substitute for the above-required experience; or b) Completion of 30 semester/45 quarter credit units at an accredited college or university may substitute for the above-required experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
San Joaquin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and is committed to providing equal employment to all without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation or belief, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. For more information go to www.sjgov.org/department/hr/eeo.
Accommodations for those covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA):
San Joaquin County complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act and, upon request, will consider reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
Part-Time Employee Benefits: Part-time employees who meet the appropriate eligibility criteria may receive health insurance benefits and step increases.
Applicants for part-time and temporary recruitments who meet the minimum qualifications are either referred to the hiring department for further selection or they may be required to take a written examination. If a written examination is given, the top candidates may be referred to the hiring department for further selection.
Testing Accommodation: Candidates who require testing accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) must call Human Resources Division at (209) 468-3370 prior to the examination date.
Physical Exam: Some classifications require physical examinations. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the physical examination. The County pays for physical examinations administered in its medical facilities.
Pre-employment Drug Screening Exam: Some classifications require a new employee successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen as a condition of employment. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the drug screen. The County pays for the initial drug screen.
Employment of Relatives: Applicants who are relatives of employees in a department within the 3rd degree of relationship, (parent, child, grandparent, grandchild or sibling) either by blood or marriage, may not be appointed, promoted, transferred into or within the department when:
They are related to the Appointing Authority, or
The employment would result in one of them supervising the work of the other
Department Heads may establish additional limitations on the hiring of relatives by departmental rule.
Proof of Eligibility: If you are offered a job, you will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or other documents that establish your eligibility to be employed in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
By mail or in person:
San Joaquin County Human Resources
44 N. San Joaquin Street Suite 330
Stockton, CA 95202
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; excluding holidays.
Phone: (209) 468-3370
For current employment opportunities please call our 24-hour job line at (209) 468-3377.
When a final filing date is indicated, applications must be filed with the Human Resources Division before 5:00 p.m. or postmarked by the final filing date. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Applications sent through county inter-office mail, which are not received by the final filing date, will not be accepted. (The County assumes no responsibility for mailed applications which are not received by the Human Resources Division).
San Joaquin County Substance Abuse Policy: San Joaquin County has adopted a Substance Abuse Policy in compliance with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. This policy is enforced by all San Joaquin County Departments and applies to all San Joaquin County employees.