Clinical Laboratory Scientist II - SJGH
|Approximate Salary||$6,788 - $8,252/month|
|Opening Date||1/11/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Closing Date||1/25/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|Tentative Exam Date||TBA|
This examination is being given to fill one full-time vacancy in the Laboratory Department at San Joaquin General Hospital. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. A completed application must be postmarked or received online by the final filing deadline.
The vacancy is as follows:
- PM Shift (2:00 PM to 10:30 PM) position. The ideal candidate for this vacancy will possess Generalist experience.
Incumbent in this position will also be required to work a weekend schedule (once a month).
NOTE: All correspondences relating to this recruitment will be delivered via e-mail. The e-mail account used will be the one provided on your employment application during time of submittal. Please be sure to check your e-mail often for updates. If you do not have an e-mail account on file, Human Resources will send you correspondences via US Mail.
· Makes a variety of microbiological examinations of specimens such as feces, urine, sputum and body fluids, including initial isolation of organisms, identification of organisms, antibiotic susceptibility testing of the organism and identification of parasites.
· Makes biochemical analyses of blood and other fluids to determine the quantitative presence of creatinine, glucose, protein, calcium and other chemical components.
· Makes qualitative biochemical and microscopic analyses of urine specimens.
· Performs hematological examinations such as complete blood counts, differential counts, sedimentation rates, coagulation studies, platelet and reticulocytes counts, and bone marrow preparations.
· Performs immunohematological examinations such as blood typing and cross-matching.
· Performs special procedures required such as glucose tolerance tests, kidney function tests, and other similar tests.
· Participates in developmental work for new tests and procedures.
· Performs quality control procedures, equipment maintenance, and recordkeeping as required in the performance of tests and examinations; may assume responsibility for specialized tasks such as quality control reporting.
· May act as lead worker over other laboratory employees and laboratory trainees.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a departmental promotion. Qualified applicants must currently be employed with San Joaquin General Hospital and meet the promotional eligibility requirements as stated in Civil Service Rule 10, Section 3-Eligiblity for Promotional Examinations.
Note: A supplemental application must be submitted with employment application.
Experience: One-year equivalent to Clinical Laboratory Scientist I in San Joaquin County.
Licenses and Certificates: Possession of a valid license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist issued by the State of California Department of Health.
The principles, methods, materials, techniques and terminology of biochemistry, microbiology, immunology, hematology, immunohematology, and clinical microscopy as related to medical technology; recent developments, current literature, and sources of information in medical technology.
Perform assigned tasks according to prescribed procedures; make accurate observations and records of test result; interpret test data and draw logical conclusions; correlate test results and evaluate validity; follow oral and written instructions in precise detail; perform examinations using manual or modern automated methodology; communicate effectively, orally and in writing; establish effective working relationships with physicians, hospital staff, and others; act as a lead worker over others; use initiative and be innovative in setting up new procedures.
Civil Service Rule 10 – Section 3 – Eligibility for Promotional Examinations
To compete in a promotional examination, an employee must:
A. Meet the minimum qualifications of the class on or before the final filing date for filing applications.
B. Meet one of the following qualifying service requirements:
1. Have permanent status in the Classified Service.
2. Probationary, part-time, or temporary employees who have worked a minimum of 1040 hours in the previous 12 months or previous calendar year.
3. Exempt employees who have worked a minimum of 2,080 continuous and consecutive hours.
C. Have a rating of satisfactory or better on the last performance evaluation.
D. If a person whose name is on a promotional list is separated (except for layoff) the name shall be removed from the promotional list of the action.
Employees who meet the minimum qualifications will go through one of the following examination process:
- Written Exam: The civil service written exam is a multiple choice format. If the written exam is administered alone, it will be 100% of the overall score. Candidates must achieve a minimum rating of 70% in order to be placed on the eligible list.
- Oral Exam: The oral exam is a structured interview process that will assess the candidate’s education, training, and experience and may include a practical exercise. The oral exam selection process is not a hiring interview. A panel of up to four people will determine the candidate’s score and rank for placement on the eligible list. Top candidates from the eligible list are referred for hiring interviews. If the oral exam is administered alone, it will be 100% of the overall score. Candidates must achieve a minimum rating of 70% in order to be placed on the eligible list.
- Written & Oral Exam: If both a written exam and an oral exam is administered, the written exam is weighted at 60% and the oral exam is weighted at 40% unless otherwise indicated on the announcement. Candidates must achieve a minimum rating of 70% on each examination in order to be placed on the eligible list.
- Rate-out: A rate-out is an examination that involves a paper rating of the candidate’s application using the following criteria: education, training, and experience. Candidates will not be scheduled for the rate-out process.
Note: The rating of 70 referred to may be the same or other than an arithmetic 70% of the total possible points.
Testing Accommodation: Candidates who require testing accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) must call Human Resources Division at (209) 468-3370 prior to the examination date.
Eligible Lists: Candidates who pass the examination will be placed on an eligible list for that classification. Eligible lists are effective for nine months, but may be extended by the Human Resources Director for a longer period which shall not exceed a total of three years for the date esblished.
Certification/Referral: Names from the eligible list will be referred to the hiring department by the following methods.
- Rule of Five: The top five names will be referred for hiring interviews. This applies only to department or countywide promotional examination.
Physical Exam: Some classifications require physical examinations. Final appointment cannot be made until the eligible has passed the physical examination. The County pays for physical examinations administered in its medical facilities.
Employment of Relatives: Applicants who are relatives of employees in a department within the 3rd degree of relationship, (parent, child, grand parent, grand child or sibling) either by blood or marriage, may not be appointed, promoted, transferred into or within the department when;
· They are related to the Appointing Authority or
· The employment would result in one of them supervising the work of the other.
Department Head may establish additional limitations on the hiring of relatives by departmental rule.
HOW TO APPLY
By mail or in person:
San Joaquin County Human Resources
44 N. San Joaquin Street Suite 330
Stockton, Ca 95202
Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm; excluding holidays.
Phone: (209) 468-3370
For current employment opportunities please call our 24-hour job line at (209) 468-3377.
When a final filing date is indicated, applications must be filed with the Human Resources Division before 5:00 p.m. or postmarked by the final filing date. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of an application. Applications sent through county inter-office mail, which are not received by the final filing date, will not be accepted. (The County assumes no responsibility for mailed applications which are not received by the Human Resources Division).
San Joaquin County Substance Abuse Policy: San Joaquin County has adopted a Substance Abuse Policy in compliance with the Federal Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988. This policy is enforced by all San Joaquin County Departments and applies to all San Joaquin County employees.
Equal Opportunity Employer: San Joaquin County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and is committed to providing equal employment to all without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation or belief, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation. For more information go to www.sjgov.org/department/hr/eeo.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|View and print the official application form as an Acrobat pdf file.||A San Joaquin County application form is required for this recruitment. You may print this Acrobat PDF document and then fill it in.|
|Contact us via conventional means.||You may contact us by phone at (209) 468-3370, or by email, or apply for a job in person at the San Joaquin County Human Resources Division.|