9920 Public Service Aide: Assistant To Professionals
Environmental Outreach Aide
|Date Opened||1/28/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/24/2020 08:00:00 AM|
|Salary||$21.24 - $21.24/hour; $3,681.00 - $3,681.00/month; $44,174.00 - $44,174.00/year|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
Environmental Outreach Aide (Multiple Vacancies)
San Francisco Department of Environment
9920 – Public Service Aide: Assistant to Professionals
The San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) provides solutions that advance climate protection and enhance quality of life for all San Franciscans. We value credibility, collaboration, impact, innovation, and equity. SF Environment’s Programs include Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction, Environmental Justice, Transportation, Climate Change, Energy, Green Building, Urban Forestry and Public Information Programs.
Bilingual Positions: Multiple positions may require bilingual skills: Proficiency in reading, writing, typing, speaking, and listening in English and Chinese and/or Spanish. Selected bilingual candidates must pass language proficiency and proofreading tests, and upon successful completion would be eligible for a bilingual pay stipend.
• Conduct outreach to residents, businesses and schools regarding the city’s environmental policies and programs, including: door-to-door canvassing, phone calling, event tabling, presenting, and surveying• Facilitate meetings and workshops with businesses, neighborhood associations, parent-teacher organizations, and community groups
• Conduct on-site zero waste assessments and facilitate employee and resident trainings at businesses and apartments
• Provide technical assistance to businesses regarding sustainability practices
• Respond to public inquiries
• Research, collect, and compile data
• Assist in the preparation of reports and documents
• Assist in coordinating and scheduling outreach activities
• Participate in eco-literacy and project-related trainings
• Perform administrative support and other duties/tasks as required
• Follow the City departmental procedures
These positions (multiple vacancies will be filled) are Temporary-Exempt Appointments, with a duration of 1-2 years. A second year may be possible contingent upon City budget conditions and demonstrated competence and professionalism in the first year of employment. Participation in this program does not guarantee a second year of employment or any future employment with the San Francisco Department of the Environment or the City and County of San Francisco. This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointment officer.
1. Available to work some weekends and/or evenings as needed2. Ability to work in all neighborhoods of San Francisco3. Fluency in a second language used commonly in San Francisco (multiple positions)
1. Ability to stand and/or walk up to 75% of working hours2. Knowledge of basic mathematics3. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written format4. Customer service, sales, and/or outreach experience5. Responsible, motivated, professional and able to work effectively on a team6. Word processing, spreadsheet, database and internet proficiency7. Enthusiasm to learn about environmental initiatives and opportunities in the environmental sector8. Experience (volunteer or paid) in Zero Waste, Energy, Transportation or other specialty area in the environmental field9. Possession of a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a City-issued vehicle as needed (vehicle is provided)
Candidates are requested to submit a resume attached to their application. Upload this document as a PDF or Word file, with the naming convention of “YourName-9920EnvNow”.
How To Apply
1. Select the desired job announcementComputers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
2. Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
3. Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
4. Follow instructions on the screen
5. Attach your resume to your application as a PDF or Word document
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application was received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
Please email Adam Romoslawski, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at Adam.Romoslawski@sfgov.org should you have questions about the application process. For questions regarding the status of your application or the selection process, please refer to the ‘Timeline’ section under the Selection Procedures heading (directly below).
Online application filing deadline will conclude at 8am on Monday, February 24th, 2020. Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to give application status updates. While we are not able to reach out to every applicant, the hiring manager will contact you directly after the filing deadline if your skills and experiences are a strong match for the position.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
• Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
If you are selected as a finalist, the hiring department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
Disaster Service Workers
2. Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at: http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
3. Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at web URL:
4. Applicants are advised to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam record and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to present additional material at the time of appointment and/or at a later date.
5. For general information concerning City and County of San Francisco employment policies and procedures, please refer to this web URL:
6. For Right to Work policy, please refer to this web URL:
7. Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at:
ISSUED: JANUARY 28, 2020
MICKI CALLAHAN, HUMAN RESOURCES DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
ANNOUNCEMENT NO: TEX-9920-903988
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|